Norm's new computer

Q & A about computer hardware and software. Discuss settings, errors, setup, etc.

Norm's new computer

Postby AS37 Norm Edwards » 05 Mar 2012 13:23

Hi all, well I finally got around to buying a desktop computer (after many years of using a laptop). This is what I have - for you computer techos out them (I'm not one), lemme know what you think!

Intel Core i7 - 2600 processor - 3.4 ghz/8mb chache/lga1155
Intel Original Motherboard H67
Zotac GTX 210 P.. Exp - 1GBCard
Kingston DDR3 - 8GB 1333 MHz RAM (2x4GB)
Integrated sound but with two external speakers and subwoofer
Gigabtye power supply 720 watts
Integrated 10/100/1000MBPS
Seagate 1TB SATA Hard Drive
DVD Writer Dual Layer Internal SATA
Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Logitech
MS Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Quite what all the above numbers and thingies mean, but I have to say its quite fast, it has 3 fans which I can see all lite up in neon blue (the side of the case allows you to see "inside" it). I use FS9 with a lot of addons so I expect it will be suitable!

AS37 Norm Edwards
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 37

Re: Norm's new computer

Postby JSkorna » 05 Mar 2012 21:25

You will enjoy FS9 very much with that set up!

JSkorna
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby AS380 Mark Richards » 06 Mar 2012 00:22

And consider making the switch to FSX Norm, your machine SHOULD romp home in FSX.

AS380 Mark Richards
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 380] Auckland, New Zealand [NZAA]
AirSource Pilot Number: 380

Postby Leemazz » 07 Mar 2012 17:47

Sliders allllllll the way to the right Norm

Leemazz
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby meeberg » 07 Mar 2012 18:17

It's like the new one I have since november, and I can tell you that it has a great performance.
You surely will enjoy the new one.
I have a lot of performance, especcialy for FSX, with 120GB solid disk, where FSX is running.

Have fun!!!

meeberg
Instrument Rated Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 123

Postby AS223 Brett Lucas » 20 Mar 2012 17:51

Nice setup. FS9 will smoke now. You should think about the move to FSX. You got the hardware to run it. Your i7 is a great CPU and your card will mesh with the i7 very nicely. I just rebuilt my desktop about 3 months ago with a close config to yours and made the move to FSX. Im able to run all slidders maxxed with the exception of the water slidder. I keep that one on high. And I don't use AI so that is to the left and I maintain 30fps with addons such as FSDT and Megascenery and PMDG.

Either way, enjoy your new system!!
AS223 Brett Lucas

Postby AS37 Norm Edwards » 21 Mar 2012 14:09

I've been using FSX for the last couple of weeks and I see lots of advantages with it but sorting out all the scenery, AI aircraft & schedules is a nightmare. I've paid a reasonable amount of money in the past on PMDG, CaptSim, RogerWilco which is basically useless in FSX because it can't be used - the vagaries of updating I suspect. I've put FSX on probation in terms of the "likeability" factor - if I don't like it, i'll switch back :)

AS37 Norm Edwards
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 37

Postby AS223 Brett Lucas » 21 Mar 2012 16:31

I hear you loud and clear. When I bought this desktop my plan was for it to run FSX. Well that was not the case, so I stayed with FS9 until the hardware $$ came down and I could rebuild. took just shy of 4 years. Took delivery in May of 08. I knew that one day I would make the switch and just bought my planes and scenery over that time to be ready.

And I'm still buying, does it ever stop??? Anyways, I have surpassed my FS9 setup, Im at 61Gb on my FSX SSD, if that tells you anything. (lots of addons). Im a scenery junky!! Likes my eye candy and my rig handles it. I used to hate FSX for all its bugs, but now that I have figured my way around FSX and its issues, I love it!!! Can't get enough of it.

Been taking alot of screenshots and comparing those to my FS9 screenshots and man what a difference what you can put the two side by side.

So good luck with FSX and if you got any questions along the way, just shoot me an email or PM.

Later
AS223 Brett Lucas

Return to Hardware / Software Discussion