Curious Problem

The "personal" version of Active AirSource

Curious Problem

Postby TerryW » 04 Jan 2014 15:30

Having a weird problem the past month or so. MyAAS v2 records flights properly, I am able to view the flight data after the flight (Ie, time, fuel used, approx. touchdown fpm). I am able to bring up the PIREP portion of the program, but it stays white....the little blue MS circle just spins, that portion of the program will not open (where you choose the flight to PIREP, the manufacturer and the aircraft type). So far, I have uninstalled, reinstalled four times. On each reinstall, everything works fine for from two to five or so flights, then will just give the blank white PIREP submission page. If I uninstall and reinstall, every portion of the program will work....at least for a time.

I may be wrong, but it seems that it happens each time that I download a new bunch of flights. The last batch took me to UNNT. I selected four flights this morning, the first being from UNNT to USSS. That was the completed flight where the PIREP portion refused to work.

Anyone have a similar problem, or suggestion?

Thanks,
Terry
TerryW

Re: Curious Problem

Postby JSkorna » 04 Jan 2014 23:46

Hi,

I know it works for you sometimes but is your anti-virus/firewall messing things up?

JSkorna
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby JSkorna » 04 Jan 2014 23:47

JSkorna
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby TerryW » 05 Jan 2014 12:18

Thanks Jim,...technically, I wouldn't know where to begin checking the firewall, anti-virus.....neither has ever given me grief. However, just for the heck of it, I deleted the installed MyAAS v2, then reinstalled, downloaded the remaining flights from my Plan Book, and flew USSS to UUEE this morning; the PIREP portion of the newly installed MyAAS is now functioning. Pretty much proves to me that once I've flown the particular set of lights from my Plan Book, the PIREP function will not work on any subsequent flights that I have entered into and downloaded from the Plan Book. Seems that once my current set of flights have been flown and Pirep'd, the PIREP portion of the program loses "touch" with the main portion of MyAAS for any subsequently downloaded flights.

FSX and MyAAS are both on my K: drive, although I also had both this and other problems with MyAAS on the C: drive, both in the "My Documents" folder and stand-alone in C:Programs(x86). Use Windows 7 64bit version.
Terry
TerryW

Postby AS201 Joe » 05 Jan 2014 13:02

Hi Terry-

Sorry for the late reply, had a long day at work yesterday.

Glad to hear you have it working again. Unfortunately, you had to delete the database to do it. Sort of an odd problem this late in the program's life. If it happens again (or if you still have a copy of the old myaas2.db) can you email it to me as an attachment so I can have a look at it? jbham_at_hotmail.com.

Also, although not added to the manual yet, "My Documents" is a protected folder, just like "Program Files" and myAAS2 should not be installed there with Vista and later.

AS201 Joe
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 201

Postby TerryW » 05 Jan 2014 17:30

Hi Joe.....thanks for info. I have two flights left to do from the current Plan Book....Moscow to Sochi to Vienna. Once completed (and I'm sure they'll PIREP just fine), I'll choose another flight, download and fly it, and I'll predict that the PIREP submission portion of the program will not work. It doesn't give an error report, or say it's not responding....just stays blank. I then bring up Task Manager to close it down. Is that the point you'd want to see the db file?....thanks,
Terry
TerryW

Postby AS201 Joe » 05 Jan 2014 18:18

Yes, that's the point where I want you to send it. The problem is, probably, something going wrong with the encryption and causing myAAS2 to try and read more data than is actually there...causing a buffer overrun. Might be just a case of a special character in the airport name that's causing a problem.

AS201 Joe
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 201

Postby TerryW » 08 Jan 2014 16:27

Drats,....that didn't work..., or, I guess I should say, it did work. Downloaded a new batch of flights to the current install. Flew the first one, LOWW to ENGM, and everything, including the PIREP portion of the program, worked fine. Kinda shoots down my theory!

Next time it's reluctant to work I'll forward the db file.....thanks, Joe
Terry
TerryW

Return to MyActive AirSource Version 1 [Obsolete]