CONSTELLATION DOWNLOAD

Enter freeware add-on reviews in ths forum

CONSTELLATION DOWNLOAD

Postby ROGERP » 06 Jul 2009 05:27

To expand my area of ASHA operations to the "Classics" I recently downloaded and installed into FSX the Constellation. It looked ok on the ground all facilities up and running so decided to have a quick test run.
Accelerated down the runway lifted off a treat and very happy until my speed increased slowly from my set 240kts to 1000. 1500kts and still increasing. I then saw my altitude set for 4000ft increase pro rata to excess of 40000ft. Aborted flight!!! Changed the panel for the one I have in the Hercules. Just the same. I tried more panels but no good.
Has anyone else had similar problems?
Can someone advise me where I can download another freeware Constellation for FSX?
Love the old "connie" elegance personified.
Roger
ROGERP
Instrument Rated Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Re: CONSTELLATION DOWNLOAD

Postby meeberg » 06 Jul 2009 11:38

Roger

I downloaded from FlightSim (I think) the next files:
constellation_fsx.zip,
l049a_v30.zip

Look what you need, I fly very well with this plane.
Henk

meeberg
Instrument Rated Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 123

Postby ITZREAL » 06 Jul 2009 11:46

Hi Roger! I am currently flying the L-049A for the 'Classics' ribbon. The airplane I am using was downloaded from FlightSim.com. It is a great version of this plane. The file #'s for FSX are L049AV30.ZIP & L049A301.ZIP .
The 2nd file is a fix and update.
ITZREAL

Postby ROGERP » 06 Jul 2009 12:03

Thanks guys for info. Will go to Flight Sim and try a download.
Much appreciated.
Roger
ROGERP
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby ITZREAL » 06 Jul 2009 12:12

One other comment for Roger. This airplane is not for the what I call the 'Takeoff and forget' crowd. You need to pay attention to certain things. Cowl flaps, Prop mixture, as well as Throttle RPM have to be set for various stages of flight. I find that great for more involvement during flight. Sometimes when you fly nothing but the 'Modern Jetliners' all you have to do is takeoff and set the Auto-Pilot 'on' and you are good to go for as long as you need until descent. Try using the above mentioned airplane. But when you do, follow some rules. When you takeoff set your cowl flaps to 40. Have your mixture set for full. Make sure you have your prop sinc on. Only climb for 500 FPM. Once you start climbing, decrease you cowl flaps to 30 and keep your RPM at 2300. Try to maintain a pitch for around 150 KIAS. Getting to a high alt like 20K + will take a while. Be patient. Once at cruise, decrease cowl flaps to closed and at set RPM at 1800. I do this all the time and get a good ground speed of around 270 GS depending on wind. I love this plane and after taking off a few times I realized that this bird needs attention to certain things. I think you will like it as well. Tell me what you think.
ITZREAL

Postby ROGERP » 06 Jul 2009 19:51

Thanks for that info have copied and will be following your advice.
I downloaded the connie today.
Had a quick flight Glasgow to Manchester uk.
Landed on ILS ok.
Two things I noticed one was difficulty reading the altimeter adjustment setting.
The second was the apparent absence of GPS/Nav switch. I flew manually no problem.
Have sorted out the first problem reading the altimeter setting ( increased the size of the panel)
No resolution for second or can I assume that there isn't a GPS/Nav switch?
Appreciate your help very much
Roger
ROGERP
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby meeberg » 06 Jul 2009 20:48

Pushing the button of the radio overhead panel, you will find the NAV/GPS switch on the left half of this panel and the most right knob.

meeberg
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby ROGERP » 07 Jul 2009 06:30

Henk
Thanks very much will go to connie after my present flight ( another 2hours plus) and look.
Thought that I had covered every button on that panel.
Thanks very much again much appreciated.
Roger
ROGERP
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby ROGERP » 07 Jul 2009 11:59

Hi Henk
Further to my reply above.
Have opened my radio panel and have no gps/nav button on left panel extreme right.
Left panel only contains radio 1 and nav 1 indicators and below them the altitude set and vs set indicators with Autppilot to altitude select buttons underneath.
Right panel contains radio 2 and nav2 with transponder and adf below that.
No other buttons?
Any ideas?
Roger
ROGERP
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby meeberg » 07 Jul 2009 12:57

First my downloads have the same result as the ones L049AV30.ZIP & L049A301.ZIP given by Mike.
When you loaded the plane you have the main panel with 10 "buttons" for extra panels like ATC, compass, kneeboard, yoke, etc etc in 5 pairs.
Use left upper called RADIO/Overhead panel, then you open the mini-panel I mentioned (or use Shift-4), and on the left half there are 8 switches and the last one is the NAV/GPS switch.
It must be, otherwise I don't know !?!?!

meeberg
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby ROGERP » 07 Jul 2009 15:36

Hello Henk
Thanks for trying.
I do not have 8 switches on the left side of radio panel.
I have 6 AP HDG NAV APR BCS ALT followed by 2 vertical switches for VS UP and DOWN.
Is this the row of switches you are referring to ?
Maybe I will have to download again.
For Mike I flew the "connie" today (without GS/NAV switch) and following your guidance flew a comfortable 250kt ground speed at 17000ft and 1.8k revs.
Thanks guys for your help with my problem.
Roger
ROGERP
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby meeberg » 07 Jul 2009 16:00

Roger,

Just under the row from AP to ALT are the switches I ment.
The text is almost not readable but the last one is the NAV/GPS switch.

Henk

meeberg
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby ROGERP » 07 Jul 2009 19:23

Thanks Henk
The area below the ap etc is totally blank between the 2 white knobs.
I thought that might be the area that you were describing.
Had enough today will be retiring to bed shortly.
Tomorrow I will download again the 2 files from Flightsim.
Thanks again for all your help.
Roger
ROGERP
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby ITZREAL » 08 Jul 2009 07:55

Guys, were talking the same bird here but different versions. Roger, are you using this in FS9 or FSX?. If you are using FSX then you have the same panel I do. There is no NAV/GPS button on the FSX panel. If you are using the one for FS9 then there is. In the original file you downloaded there are several docs that came with the essential aircraft files. In FSX, go to your SimObjects/Airplanes/L049A Constellation folder. You will see towards the bottom of the list several docs. The one for the panel is 'L049A_Panel.doc' . This a MS word doc but it gives you a great overview of the panel. It is primarily meant for FS9 users. Most of the descriptions work for both the FS9 and FSX versions. Now go to the doc titled 'L-049A_FSX_ref.htm' . This is the panel description for the FSX version. Notice that there is no reference to the above mentioned Nav/Gps button. I simply believe that is was not included in the FSX version. If it is and someone has discovered its secret then let us know! With that said, I have been flying on just AP heading just fine and only once and awhile have to adjust.
ITZREAL

Postby meeberg » 08 Jul 2009 08:11

The final attempt to solve the "problem".
I fly FSX and have the toggle-switches in the Radio-mini panel, you see me fly with GPS on!!
May be you check the aircraft.cfg file and be sure you use "panel=alt", because as far as I can interpret the panel.cfg files the alt-version has a NAV/GPS switch and the "normal" panel not!!
Good luck and let us know!

I just tested it and indeed the ALT-panel has the NAV/GPS switch. So use panel=alt.

meeberg
Instrument Rated Pilot

Next

Return to Freeware