Finally! It's here.

Enter payware add-on reviews in ths forum

Finally! It's here.

Postby ITZREAL » 05 Aug 2011 10:42

PMDG just released it's Boeing 737 NGX. I am buying it as we speak. I can't wait to try it out. Tell me if you have tried it first.
ITZREAL

Re: Finally! It's here.

Postby as136roy » 06 Aug 2011 15:16

During the release date itself, the AVSIM forum was flooded by excited and restless pilots who can't wait to get their hands on the new 737NGX. I successfully purchased and downloaded the product on August 5. The initial problem that I have was related to product activation, due to the numerous people (around the world) who are attempting to access the servers.

After a few attempts I activated the product. The model was impressive and in-depth when it comes to detail. Pilots who like to fly using the virtual cockpit (with trackIR) would appreciate this. As an avid fan who previously purchased the 747X and 747-8i extension, my transition from such to the NGX was not that difficult. It took me a day to familiarize the plane's system and perform a short flight.

Aside from the obvious size, range and passenger capacity of the 747-8i from the NGX, here a some differences that I've noticed:

1. There are NO drop-down menus to access in order to change the plane's payload, fuel, external/cockpit features. All options are done through the FMC menu.

2. Pre-flight and cockpit preparation is different such that you have to connect the external devices (GPU, external air) and disconnect such before pushback. These can be done through the FMC menus.

3. The ability to taxi with minimal/idle thrust.

4. The sounds are similar to the real NGX. All buttons, switches, levers and control surfaces have their sounds modeled as well.

5. Flight handling characteristics are well modeled. During my 'test flight' I performed steep climbs/descents, sharp turns and a stall test. The model also performs holds nicely and accurately.

6. AFDS (autopilot) system handles well and requires the aircraft to be in trim before CMD will engage.

7. HUGS (heads-up guidance systems) is such a great addition. Very helpful when landing at night conditions. I'm still learning how to take this feature on full advantage. This is fairly new for many pilots.

8. Unlike the 747 which utilizes the FMC-autotune feature, for NGX you will have to tune the radio frequencies yourself in order to capture the localizer and glideslope. No problem in tuning to VOR and ADFs as well.

9. Ability to perform an autoland in fail-passive state. Only one autopilot in CMD and the plane touches down smoothly.

These were my observations while flying the NGX (first 24 hours). If you loved the 747 and other PMDG products, you will love this as well!

Have a safe flight and blue skies! :wink: :wink: :wink:

as136roy
Private Pilot

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 136] (OMDB) Dubai, United Arab Emirates
AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby dickbloom » 07 Aug 2011 13:48

I have a systems question. Not long ago, a beta test, the wing anti-ice sytem was incorrectly modeled, and noted to the programers. Has that been corrected?
db.

dickbloom
Student Pilot

Postby as136roy » 08 Aug 2011 15:51

dickbloom wrote:I have a systems question. Not long ago, a beta test, the wing anti-ice sytem was incorrectly modeled, and noted to the programers. Has that been corrected?
db.

Hi! I was not aware of this issue... Try to check the AVSIM forums.

A few days after the release date, PMDG has received lots of glitches with the NGX ranging from texture display problems, CTD after flight exit, livery manager problem and more. Despite of such, NGX is still one of the best models to date... :wink:

as136roy
Private Pilot

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 136] (OMDB) Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Postby pete_auau » 13 Aug 2011 13:18

had the pmdg 737ngx for a week now cant stop flying her anyone who hasnt got it now should get it while the discount is still on there a a few people who have issues with it but with me everyhthing works great from day 1 best part is the failures u get and the mainteneace u have to keep on the aircraft eg if u fly the same aircraft number it records how many hours u fly and everything wears down like the real deal eg brakes etc
pete_auau

Return to Payware