Feature Request?

MyActive AirSource (MyAAS) is the program used by AirSource members to record their flight time. Requires Microsoft Flight Simulator and (free) version of FSUIPC. MyAAS 2 is programmed by AS 201 Joe Hamilton, and is always being reviwed for new features.

Feature Request?

Postby KRodrig1 » 28 Jul 2018 09:40

Hi guys,

So since I have no experience in programming language, please excuse my question or request for a feature to be added at some point in the future.

Would it be possible to add a feature that allows you to file a route (flight plan) before starting myAAS and having the route show up on the live tracker page when looking at a specific pilot?

For instance, right now I'm flying KATL-ELLX and have filed a legitimate real world route and am flying that route (NAT included). When I go to the online pilots page and click my name, there is a distance and time discrepancy because myAAS does not have my flight plan stored so it's basically reading point A to point B.

Does this make sense and would this be a viable feature to add?

Thanks for your consideration.
KRodrig1

Re: Feature Request?

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 29 Jul 2018 12:24

Hello Kenneth,

Thank you for your suggestion, and of course this is something "viable", but there are some concerns I have, that is for how to align the data sources that we use for all of the waypoint information, i.e. missing waypoints, etc. This is a somewhat complex feature but of course could be done. Perhaps one day we could bring some more programmers on board to help!

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 2] KMCO Orlando, Florida SKYPE:airsourceva
AirSource Pilot Number: 2

Postby AS201 Joe » 29 Jul 2018 15:52

Just to add a point, myAAS doesn't keep track of distances. It only keeps track of the current position of the aircraft. The distances are calculated by the webpage.

But, to re-iterate what Tom replied, programatically decoding a flight plan would be a *VERY* complex thing in our simulated world as not everyone uses the same data (I still use cycle 1311 :shock: ).

AS201 Joe
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 201

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 29 Jul 2018 16:03

If the uploaded plan gave the lat/lon for every waypoint and the name of those waypoints, then we would not need to rely on any external data. I remember that we used to have an option on the GA flight plan that allowed us to upload the FSX created flight plan to our server, because within that plan it has those two elements (lat/lon and name of waypoints). But the problem is that not everyone uses an FSX flight plan. When we moved to this new server (years ago) I dropped the flight plan feature because there were problems with using it on our current server host.

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 2] KMCO Orlando, Florida SKYPE:airsourceva
AirSource Pilot Number: 2

Postby AS201 Joe » 29 Jul 2018 21:00

I see. I'll run some tests and see if I can come up with something (at least on my end :P).

AS201 Joe
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 201

Postby Leemazz » 30 Jul 2018 19:50

I miss the feature from the old AAS where at 10000ft the crew started telling passengers to fasten seatbelts . please tell me i didnt dream this :shock:

Im sure this was a feature , sorry to go a bit off topic

Leemazz
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby AS380 Mark Richards » 31 Jul 2018 02:49

Leemazz wrote:I miss the feature from the old AAS where at 10000ft the crew started telling passengers to fasten seatbelts . please tell me i didnt dream this :shock:

Im sure this was a feature , sorry to go a bit off topic

You didn't dream it Lee!

AS380 Mark Richards
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 380] Auckland, New Zealand [NZAA]
AirSource Pilot Number: 380

Postby KRodrig1 » 31 Jul 2018 17:55

AS201 Joe wrote: (I still use cycle 1311 :shock: ).

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

ROFL. It's all good man. The funny thing is that things in FS do not change as they do in the real world. That tree that sprung up in front of the landing runway within the last year at your favorite airport isn't going to find it's way into FS. Unless you design scenery, of course. :lol:

I just thought it'd be a neat feature to have in myAAS is all. Thanks for looking into it at least Joe. And I too miss the announcement feature.
KRodrig1

Return to MyActive AirSource