Client causing screen flicker

MyActive AirSource (MyAAS) is the program used by AirSource members to record their flight time. Requires Microsoft Flight Simulator and (free) version of FSUIPC. MyAAS 2 is programmed by AS 201 Joe Hamilton, and is always being reviwed for new features.

Client causing screen flicker

Postby bob3464 » 11 May 2017 17:05

Hi guys. I'm on a multi monitor setup.
Screen 1 - P3D
Screen 2 - MyAAS / vPilot
Screen 3 - Flight Deck Solution FMC (which is basically a small monitor @ 1280x1024 where I drag the undocked PMDG FMC onto the screen)

When the myAAS client is running, the 3rd screen is flickering or refreshing every 5 seconds or so. When I close it out - it stops. Any suggestions other than moving the client to a laptop?

Thanks,

Bob
bob3464

Re: Client causing screen flicker

Postby JSkorna » 12 May 2017 01:04

Is MyAAS on the screen visible or minimized to the system tray?

JSkorna
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby bob3464 » 13 May 2017 18:30

JSkorna wrote:Is MyAAS on the screen visible or minimized to the system tray?

Hi Jim. Either position, visible or minimized, any monitor, it causes the FMC to refresh the same time the client itself refreshes.
It's not the worst problem to have, but it's certainly noticeable especially in a darker room.

I also noticed when I switch over to X-Plane 11 when the primary Monitor 1 isn't active (for example when watching youtube cat videos on monitor 2 :) ), X-Plane will flicker/refresh the same way.

I typically drag the client over to monitor #2, get it started, then minimize it.
I ran a few flights w/out AAS and also with other acars clients and I can undoubtedly say the myAAS update is related to the other monitor flickering.
bob3464

Postby AS201 Joe » 14 May 2017 12:05

Sorry for the late reply, Bob. Been pretty busy here lately.

I'll have to do some research on this. Helps that you have nailed it down to myAAS2. I know I fought some flickering issues in the early stages. Maybe there's something else I didn't get.

Just out of curiosity, has this just recently started happening? You have quite a few flights.

AS201 Joe
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 201

Postby AS201 Joe » 24 May 2017 13:48

Bob,
Can you try these two versions and see if either one solves the flickering issue?

http://www.air-source.us/operations/myaas2/myaas2_uw.zip

http://www.air-source.us/operations/myaas2/myaas2_ir.zip

AS201 Joe
FAA [Administrator]

Postby bob3464 » 27 May 2017 15:30

Hi Joe. Sorry for taking so long. Just got back from a long business trip.

Both of your test versions fix the problem. I didn't test with X-Plane, but in P3D my FDS FMC does not flicker any longer.
Amazing job isolating and fixing this. Thank you so much for your attention. Have a great weekend.

Bob

AS201 Joe wrote:Bob,
Can you try these two versions and see if either one solves the flickering issue?

http://www.air-source.us/operations/myaas2/myaas2_uw.zip

http://www.air-source.us/operations/myaas2/myaas2_ir.zip
bob3464

Postby AS201 Joe » 28 May 2017 22:29

Not a problem on the delay (mine was 10 days) :D. I figured you would get to it when able.

Glad the issue seems solved. All due to my mistake of, accidentally, refreshing the screen twice. Funny, it has been in the code since the initial release and hasn't caused any issues until now. I separated them out (hence the two versions) to test. Just need to flip a coin and decide which one to use.

AS201 Joe
FAA [Administrator]

Return to MyActive AirSource