Event Proposal - Around the Americas 2012

Traveling up the West Coast of South America, the Andes Mountains will be to our East. Eventually we will reach Central America where we'll follow the Panama Canal and head Northwest into Mexico. Our next legs take us back into the United States along the beautiful West Coast into the Pacific Northwest and just touching Alaska before heading East across Canada. Our journey ends rounding the Western portion of Lake Superior and back into KSAW where we'll knock back some cold ones and tell tall tales of our flying exploits.

Event Proposal - Around the Americas 2012

Postby AS129 - Michael » 19 Feb 2012 19:42

Greetings all.....

Andre had posted something the other day on the Facebook Air-Source page about it being time to roll out the Convair 580's and have some fun. So I got to thinking. Traditionally, we usually undertake a long and grueling Around the World tour and while that was what I initially intended, I rethought the idea and came up with a 37 leg / approx. 20000nm journey around North and South America.

Like the 2005 RTW tour, we'll start and end at KSAW (Sawyer International) but we will make our way South
down the East Coast and into the Caribbean where we will make our way into South America. One leg will take us up the mighty Amazon River and then we'll head to the southern tip of the continent before heading back North.

Traveling up the West Coast of South America, the Andes Mountains will be to our East. Eventually we will reach Central America where we'll follow the Panama Canal and head Northwest into Mexico. Our next legs take us back into the United States along the beautiful West Coast into the Pacific Northwest and just touching Alaska before heading East across Canada. Our journey ends rounding the Western portion of Lake Superior and back into KSAW where we'll knock back some cold ones and tell tall tales of our flying exploits.

Thoughts or ideas?

AS129 - Michael
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 129

Re: Event Proposal - Around the Americas 2012

Postby kingsak » 19 Feb 2012 20:18

I like the idea.
Can we also get logbook ribbon / award?
kingsak

Postby Neil B » 19 Feb 2012 20:24

Sounds good ! Just the sort of trip I'd like take to shake down the forthcoming PMDG DC-6.

Neil B
Private Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby JSkorna » 19 Feb 2012 20:28

Let's do it!!

JSkorna

Postby as176andre » 19 Feb 2012 20:29

That's perfect for me too, we can still pick a classic, question I'm still on FS9 - so will it work across FS10. Think I see a PC upgrade and FS10.....

What will be the proposed start date Michael?

as176andre

Postby AS129 - Michael » 19 Feb 2012 20:46

as176andre wrote:That's perfect for me too, we can still pick a classic, question I'm still on FS9 - so will it work across FS10. Think I see a PC upgrade and FS10.....

What will be the proposed start date Michael?

I would love to push for an late March / early April start date. I planned the trip around the Convairs we used in RTW 2005 but I think any comparable twin engine turbo-prop jet will work. Personally, I am going to fly my trusty North Central Convair 580. I have the original aircraft package we used in 2005.

I'll need some time to work on the flight plans and adjust the route to accommodate whatever aircraft we're using. There are some big airports on the way but most of the fields in South America are 5000' or less. I'm going to practice T&G's on all the small fields and make sure they'll work.

Keep you all posted on my progress.

@kingsak - Yes, traditionally we have a logbook ribbon/award and a cash bonus for completing.

AS129 - Michael

Postby Leemazz » 19 Feb 2012 20:49

Not sure about a Convair , not aware of any available for FSX . So maybe another aircraft and im sure we was having a shorter tour this time due to all the massive ones we have had recently .

I think the last three tours have been world tours maybe something a bit more laid back like some little props on islands ... Anyway i will go with whatever

Leemazz

Postby AS129 - Michael » 19 Feb 2012 20:56

Leemazz wrote:Not sure about a Convair , not aware of any available for FSX.

That's why I was thinking any comparable twin turbo prop for those who have FSX. I'm still content with my FS9 set and am sticking with that. I will make sure all flight plans will work on FS9 and FSX. FSNav plans will be available as well.

AS129 - Michael

Postby AS129 - Michael » 19 Feb 2012 21:13

Update: FlightSim.com does have the Convair 580 for FSX. I'll download all the files and put a package together for the FSX users. I have both FS9 and FSX on my system so I can cross ref. everything I am doing.

AS129 - Michael

Postby kingsak » 19 Feb 2012 21:16

Leemazz wrote:Not sure about a Convair , not aware of any available for FSX . maybe something a bit more laid back like some little props on islands ... Anyway i will go with whatever

I have a CV-580 that works with FS9 & FSX, when I get to my fsx pc i'll find out where I got it and post a link in this topic. If I remember correctly, it works with both sims. Off top-O-my-head I wanna say it was
Classic Airliners dot net/com (I'll verify).

As for island hopping - I'm all for that too, esp. the Carib.!
kingsak

Postby Leemazz » 19 Feb 2012 22:03

I would probably use something else to be honest , if its the Calclassic Convair its about 15 year old now originally for fs2002 . I will use something like the PMDG Jetstream

Leemazz

Postby AS380 Mark Richards » 20 Feb 2012 11:18

An excellent idea Michael, thanks for the suggestion. I think to match up with everyone's ideals, let's make it a NON-JET event, so you can fly your Convair, or the Jetstream, or any other non-jet aircraft.

20,000nm is a long event so could you please give us some idea about how long your feel it should run for? An event like this with 37 legs could take some guys a couple of months to complete and therefore someone will need to track the legs.

Can I suggest another alternative would be to break it into two events, North America and South America, I'm guessing both would be of similar length. We could make the awards and payments dependent on how many legs each pilot flies with big rewards for someone who flies all 37 legs. I'm easy either way but I don't feel that the event should go on for months as it tends to have an effect on other Divisions.

Could you please send me details of the legs involved so I can get one or two of the CDOs on board to run with the event?

kingsak wrote:I like the idea.
Can we also get logbook ribbon / award?

But of course.

AS380 Mark Richards
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 380] Auckland, New Zealand [NZAA]
AirSource Pilot Number: 380

Postby AS129 - Michael » 20 Feb 2012 18:08

AS380 Mark Richards wrote:An excellent idea Michael, thanks for the suggestion. I think to match up with everyone's ideals, let's make it a NON-JET event, so you can fly your Convair, or the JetStream, or any other non-jet aircraft.

Thank you for that suggestion. I was thinking in the spirit of our past RTW events, good old fashioned props are the aircraft of choice for us.

AS380 Mark Richards wrote:20,000nm is a long event so could you please give us some idea about how long your feel it should run for? An event like this with 37 legs could take some guys a couple of months to complete and therefore someone will need to track the legs.

I think an expiration date of 90 days per leg is more than appropriate for an event of this length. 90 days = 3 months = 12 weeks therefore 37 legs + 12 weeks = 49 weeks total. Round it to 50 for good measure. That should give everyone the chance to get involved and also gives leeway to those who may take a break for vacations and/or holidays.

I'll do all the tracking. I have plenty of time on my hands being semi-retired now and this gives me something to stay occupied. I already have a spreadsheet made for the event as well to track pilots and legs.

AS380 Mark Richards wrote:Can I suggest another alternative would be to break it into two events, North America and South America, I'm guessing both would be of similar length. We could make the awards and payments dependent on how many legs each pilot flies with big rewards for someone who flies all 37 legs. I'm easy either way but I don't feel that the event should go on for months as it tends to have an effect on other Divisions.

I would really like to keep everything as one event. That was my original intent and at 37 legs it's less than the 79 we flew for RTW 2005. As I stated earlier, I think putting a 90 day expiration per bid will allow everyone the chance to take a break and also to be able to fulfill their ASHA, Bid, or Schedule Division obligations. I for one will be maintaining my Delta obligations during the event.

This is what I would like to propose for the awards:

Platinum = Completed all 37 legs ($100,000)
Gold = Minimum 31 legs complete ($75,000)
Silver = Minimum 25 legs complete ($50,000)
Bronze = Minimum 19 legs complete ($35,000)

AS380 Mark Richards wrote:Could you please send me details of the legs involved so I can get one or two of the CDOs on board to run with the event?

I'll be more than happy to pass that along to you as I finalize the route (couple of days). I don't know if I still have CDO privileges as I did with RTW 2005 but I'll be more than happy to take that on for the event so we're not stretching ourselves. Would also be nice to have someone as a back-up as well.

AS129 - Michael

Postby AS129 - Michael » 21 Feb 2012 01:12

OK, I have all the flight plans completed for use in FS9 and FSX. I also designed the logo/logbook award as well.

I also made changes to 11 airport files (.bgl) to create parking areas for those of us who might fly as a group. I have an FSHost server so FS9 and FSX users can access.

I will make all the flight plans and .bgl files available once everything is approved. Will start working on the Convair package shortly.

AS129 - Michael

Postby as176andre » 21 Feb 2012 08:02

Hi michael,

Wow great work. Thanks for working on this. I'll get home in 3 weeks as I'm traveling for business so will only get to my Convair package then. I also think that the online legs where great and have not done that since ou last flight, so will be nice to meet up with old the old friends and new ones to. Last time I think we started the flight at GMT 21:00 or so on a Saturday or Sunday, not sure which flights will work for everyone

as176andre

Next

Return to JATA 2012