AirSource 10th Anniversary Event

Special forums to discuss AirSource Events

AirSource 10th Anniversary Event

Postby AS380 Mark Richards » 31 Mar 2010 11:33

In June 2000, the AirSource Virtual Pilot Union officially opened its doors to the Virtual Aviation world. From its humble beginnings, the VPU has grown into one of the largest networks of virtual pilots anywhere in the world. AirSource (as it is affectionately known to its members) now boasts schedules for almost every known airline in the world (and a large number of classics as well), an active personal division for General Aviation enthusiast, Bid flights for those special events and probably the singularly largest humanitarian schedule for pilots wishing to fly virtually to provide humanitarian flights in response to the changing world we all live.

In order to celebrate 10 years, AirSource is hosting its first event for 2010 - Seven by Seven by Seven for Ten.

This event will be a little different to previous events and will require pilots to complete the following:

• Research some locations of various places around the world
  • Choose 21 airports near to those locations to fly 21 flights
  • Plan your flights
  • Plan your routes
  • Choose your aircraft
  • Plan ahead

You will be handsomely rewarded for completing the event.

Full details. including the rules of the event, can be found in the EVENT DETAILS BROCHURE (You need Adobe Acrobat reader to read the document)

There is also special bonus prizes for designing the event logo. All entries should be emailed to me at the address in the Event Details brochure.

All pilots participating in the event will be assigned their own special Contract Development Officer who will enter flights ESPECIALLY FOR YOU!

Please note that only the pilot that the flight was entered for my fly that bid.

If you wish to take part in the event, please confirm that AirSource has your correct email address on record and then post your name and AirSource pilot number in the forum post entitled 7x7x7for10 Participants and you will be assigned a CDO.

If you have questions about the event, post them as a reply to this message.

AS380 Mark Richards
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 380] Auckland, New Zealand [NZAA]
AirSource Pilot Number: 380

Re: AirSource 10th Anniversary Event

Postby vic365 » 31 Mar 2010 23:05

What would other participants or the CDO's suggest as the best way to find, or verify, an airfield is within 50 miles of my chosen Wonders? I usually use FSNav for flight planning so maybe some resource which can give me exact Lat-Lon for my chosen wonder?

Do I understand correctly that I can fly the required 7 Ancient Wonders flights interspersed with my other 2 Wonder choices? IOW...the Ancient Wonders flights do not have to be flown back-to-back before moving on to my next choice of Wonders?

Do I submit a detailed FP, including airways and intersections/navaids, to my assigned CDO?

Any Tech stops, for refueling and such, would require the same chosen aircraft as you arrived in. In other words...no swapping aircraft at Tech Stops?

Sounds like a fun event relying on our own individual choices...looking forward to it!

vic365
Multi Engine Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby Phillip Speer » 31 Mar 2010 23:47

Hi Victor.

To find airports within 50 miles I'm using Google Earth with it's ruler :) Taken a couple of hours but think am just about there.

Phillip

Phillip Speer
Private Pilot

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 191] Eastbourne, East Sussex, United Kngdom
AirSource Pilot Number: 191

Postby vic365 » 01 Apr 2010 00:05

The problem I'm having is some rather nebulous latitude and longitude coordinates for the Ancient Wonders...depending on where you look? Many are long gone and finding accurate locations is becoming a bit "iffy", so far.

vic365
Multi Engine Pilot

Postby vic365 » 01 Apr 2010 02:05

Let me condense my unanswered questions...so far:

Do I understand correctly that I can fly the required 7 Ancient Wonders flights interspersed with my other 2 Wonder choices? IOW...the Ancient Wonders flights do not have to be flown back-to-back before moving on to my next choice of Wonders?

Do I submit a detailed FP, including airways and intersections/navaids, to my assigned CDO?

Any Tech stops, for refueling and such, would require the same chosen aircraft as you arrived in. In other words...no swapping of aircraft at Tech Stops?

What about small airfields which do not appear in the AirSource Airport database but are in FS...can they be used?

My flight planning is in a "hold" mode until I hear back from the event staff. :wink:

vic365
Multi Engine Pilot

Postby AS380 Mark Richards » 01 Apr 2010 02:44

vic365 wrote:Let me condense my unanswered questions...so far:

Let me do my best to assist your unanswered questions.

No, they can be interspersed with other wonders.

No, just departure and arrival airports so we can enter the bid.

Any Tech stops, for refueling and such, would require the same chosen aircraft as you arrived in. In other words...no swapping of aircraft at Tech Stops?

You have that one sorted! No aircraft swaps.

What about small airfields which do not appear in the AirSource Airport database but are in FS...can they be used?

If they are in FS and not in AirSource, let your CDO know who can let me know and they can be entered. This might take a couple of days though as I am a shift worker.

My flight planning is in a "hold" mode until I hear back from the event staff. :wink:

Hoping this has helped.

You will earn your virtual AS$ for this event!

AS380 Mark Richards
FAA [Administrator]

Postby vic365 » 01 Apr 2010 03:07

Thanks Mark...that should cover it on my end, I believe.

Always a pleasure to talk to another shift worker!! :)

vic365
Multi Engine Pilot

Postby AS37 Norm Edwards » 01 Apr 2010 06:55

For participants, if you are having difficulty identifying the location of most of the wonders, this link should prove useful - its visual and also clicking on the sharepoint list link will give exact location long/lat :)

:arrow: http://wondersoftheworld.idvsolutions.com/default.aspx

AS37 Norm Edwards
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 37

Postby as136roy » 01 Apr 2010 14:20

Thanks Norm... It took me two hours last night to choose and find out the present-day names of the ancients places. Then today about seven hours to get the whole world route organized (specific legs included). A total of about nine hours planned out for this event... I can't wait to start my first leg...

Let's get it on! :D

as136roy
Private Pilot

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 136] (OMDB) Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Postby AS380 Mark Richards » 01 Apr 2010 21:42

as136roy wrote:A total of about nine hours planned out for this event... I can't wait to start my first leg...

Let's get it on! :D

Awesome work Roy, that is exactly what this event is all about, doing some research and planning and then getting on and enjoying the flights.

I did all my planning last night and have about 22,000nm of flying ahead of me in the next ten weeks.

ENJOY!

AS380 Mark Richards
FAA [Administrator]

Postby Gareth Robinson » 01 Apr 2010 22:20

My first questions:

What needs to happen if you have a wonder that is on more that one list, such as the Panama Canal, Great Wall of China etc.

For the 'long length' wonders such as the Great Wall of China, Channel Tunnel, the airport needs to be within 50nm of any part of it, correct?
Gareth Robinson

Postby AS380 Mark Richards » 02 Apr 2010 02:31

Gareth Robinson wrote:My first questions:

Kiaora Gareth, good to have you take part.

What needs to happen if you have a wonder that is on more that one list, such as the Panama Canal, Great Wall of China etc.

You need to fly to it twice, i.e. one landing there does not count (and neither does a circuit!)

For the 'long length' wonders such as the Great Wall of China, Channel Tunnel, the airport needs to be within 50nm of any part of it, correct?

Anywhere along it is fine.

Enjoy the event Gareth.

AS380 Mark Richards
FAA [Administrator]

Postby as136roy » 02 Apr 2010 11:19

I have already contacted my CDO (Jeff Summers) and submitted my flights thru email. There has been no reply ever since. As of this post, I don't see any of my flights in the Bid Division either.

as136roy
Private Pilot

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 136] (OMDB) Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Postby AS380 Mark Richards » 02 Apr 2010 12:08

as136roy wrote:I have already contacted my CDO (Jeff Summers) and submitted my flights thru email. There has been no reply ever since. As of this post, I don't see any of my flights in the Bid Division either.

I'll chase Jeff up for you Roy, I know he is busy in hie life outside of AirSource. I've been lucky to have had a day off today and on call so had to stay near home so I've got some of my own flights flown and entered a number of the other guys bids, but personal lives must come first.

I'm sure it won't be too long my friend.

AS380 Mark Richards
FAA [Administrator]

Postby lsweet » 02 Apr 2010 14:33

can I join a team for this event

lsweet
Student Pilot

Next

Return to Events