Paint Help for FreightRacer

Have a nice picture in FS you wish to share? Post and upload your Flight Simulator Screenshots in the AirSource Gallery (link on top of all AirSource website pages or inside the announcement of this forum)

Paint Help for FreightRacer

Postby AS254 » 14 Jan 2006 19:16

Hi all,

First off let me say that this is my initial attempt at painting an aircraft. I did it using Adobe Photoshope 8.0. The plane looks much better in Photoshop. I painted the plane, copied them to their respective targas, and saved them as BMP...BUT...at 3meg, I guess they were too large for FS9 and it would crash to desktop when I tried to boot up the plane. To get it working, I used DXTBmp utility and saved the painted files as extended bitmaps...The following is a screen shot of the result....not very clear...What I need to find out is...how do I get the texture quality that will work in flight sim...and two....How do I add alpha to add some shine.
I have looked at countless utility tutorials...If anyone as a simple 1,2,3 steps (very basic) for what I am looking for I would be much appreciative.
Below is my freight racer for tomorrows first leg.

AS254
Student Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby Brandon Stoll » 14 Jan 2006 19:48

Wish I could help you, but I wanted to say that's a nice paint scheme.
Brandon Stoll

Postby AS254 » 14 Jan 2006 20:08

Yes,,,The nose art is about as close as I could get to my girlfriend (I know how to pickem' !)...She is about as patient with my flight sim addiction as to be believed...I made this plane in her honor. Now, If I can only figure out how to make this plane took as good in FS9 as it is in Photoshop. ALL THESE DAMN FILE TYPES! ARRRGGGGRRRR!
AS254
Student Pilot

Postby AS254 » 14 Jan 2006 20:12

One final thing...I cant paint the props for some unknown reason. Any tips there would be welcome.

Thanks to all who pitch in to help this painting noob. :D
AS254
Student Pilot

Postby Buckeye Roy » 15 Jan 2006 09:31

Hi Chris,

First of all, nice repaint.

Like you, I'm attempting to repaint my entry for the Freight Race using Photoshop. In my quest to find a good tutorial and answer some of my questions about painting using the Photoshop program (since most of the tutorials were written for Paint Shop Pro 7.0 and earlier) I found alot of useful advice and tips in the Project Open Sky Painters Resource Forum.

http://forum.projectopensky.com/index.php?showforum=27

Hope this helps and good luck in the race.

Buckeye Roy
Commercial Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 17

Return to Flight Simulator Screenshot Forum