ASCO 788 KIAH KDTW

Have a nice picture in FS you wish to share? Post and upload your Flight Simulator Screenshots in the AirSource Gallery (link on top of all AirSource website pages or inside the announcement of this forum)

ASCO 788 KIAH KDTW

Postby Guest » 20 Oct 2006 00:17

The flight NE had 'most' favorable winds at CRZ FL350. Top tail winds were around 126/130mph resulting in GS of 600 to 612mph (TAS 478/IAS 280). After days of heading west, head on in to head winds of 80 to 90mph, a most welcome relief. Then issues set in: ATC directed the flight for an ILS APP into RWY 29 at KDTW. Well, after several looks at all runways I could find for KDTW, I could not find a RWY 29. I then requested an alternate RWY and APP, selecting 22L (consistent with winds). This request was granted and then enetered into the FMC. As soon as I banked to catch the localizer, 'CRASH'. This is a first for me and leaves me wondering if FS9 (and me) simply got lost with loaded flt. plans and last minute changes. Sadly, 2:10 of flight time was lost and I sit here trying to reconstruct what happened. Anyway, I thought the tail winds were most impressive and made good time northest.

Postby AS380 Mark Richards » 20 Oct 2006 01:58

Nice. The quickest I got was on a flight from YPAD (Adelaide) to YMML (Melbourne) in Australia in the PMDG 737-700. Had 147knots straight up the tail and had a GS of 621 knots. Was at TOC for 17 seconds!

Mark

AS380 Mark Richards
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 380] Auckland, New Zealand [NZAA]
AirSource Pilot Number: 380

Postby Guest » 20 Oct 2006 02:09

Wow Mark!...What did you do, cut the engines, save fuel and just go for the ride? For me, a week straight of selecting unfavorable routes dead into the jet stream. This hop (until the very end) was great.

Postby Brandon Stoll » 20 Oct 2006 04:41

Bummer about the crash, I know what it's like to fly for a couple hours and then crash..sucks. any landing you can walk away from though.... :)
Brandon Stoll

Postby Guest » 20 Oct 2006 15:28

I have been most fortunate with crashes to desktop for a long time now, and this recent crash was most unfortunate. I had a good angle of approach in on the localizer to intercept, and with the plane configured and flying well in front of it. I thought I was home free and clear when the plane banked as it locked on to the ILS and then.....well...between the PAX screaming and me inventing new profanity on the flight deck, things got ugly. Like you point out, the killer is, 2 plus hours of flight time, erased with one text box...I am not sure if I will attempt that flight again, as I feel certain something in the flight plan, RWY assignment and the FMC didn't agree and led to the lock up and ultimate crash.

Return to Flight Simulator Screenshot Forum