Realism

Post helpful tips and flying suggestions. Ask questions and learn something new!

Realism

Postby 2dogflyer » 25 Jul 2006 21:02

What would be a realistic AGL for a short hop of 90 or so miles in a Pilatus PC 12? And....what would be a realistic approach for a runway that was perpendicular (ie. RWY 27 when approaching on a northerly heading) to one's direction of travel? Fly directly past the airport then circle right or bear off to the east before reaching the strip so as to make a left turn to align with the runway? I don't want the passengers getting too excited :lol:

2dogflyer
Student Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby Anthony Fluhart AS167 » 25 Jul 2006 21:10

Your cruise altitude would depend on the type of flight flown (i.e. IFR vs. VFR). With VFT flight you cannot exceed FL180 or fly in clouds. I would think anything that wouldn't cause CFIT would be acceptable... I would say it would be personal preference.

Regarding approaches... again its depends on the flight type. IFR you would either be vectored in by ATC or flying a charted approach. VFR usually you would just enter the circuit traffic as per you tower control or approach control.

Example:

You are north bound toward airport A. A southbound rwy is active. Your controller my advise to enter downwind left traffic. Meaning you enter the downwind portion of a circuit of lefthand turns. Usually I would say if you're flying VFR you enter the appropriate section of the circuit and make your landing.

Just some ideas... Again, I'm not an expert or a r/w pilot. Just some observations I've made in my experience with FS.

Anthony Fluhart AS167
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby 2dogflyer » 25 Jul 2006 22:07

Thanks Anthony. I'm flying into a little dirt strip on a scheduled flight in NW Ontario for Nakina Air. No tower in FS or real life in all probability, may be some GA traffic though so I guess it's just a matter of personal preference!

2dogflyer
Student Pilot

Postby Guest » 01 Aug 2006 01:43

If there is no tower, then use the Unicom Freq or local freq for that airport, announce your position about 10 miles out, and land as best into the winds as you can for a runway choice. Keep announcing your position as you get closer and, depending on how you are approaching the airport, either enter the pattern or fly straight in.

Postby as176andre » 19 Sep 2008 20:06

Hi there,

If it is an unmanned airfield one would generally do the unmanned procedure as set by your local civil aviation authority, for example in South Africa the procedure to join and land at an unmanned airfield is as follows:

In general regardless of other traffic in the circuit, one would join overhead the airfield at about 500 to 1000ft above circuit altitude(dependant on any specific height retriction to the CTR etc.), observe the wind sock and determine runway in use, then you would proceed to the dead side of the circuit (opposite to circuit) desend to circuit altitude and join on the downwind side or even cross wind leg of the circuit and slot into the traffic all the time communicating your intentions on the specific frequency. then base leg and then final approach.

as176andre
Control Tower [Moderator]

Return to Flight School