Unknown Approach Option

Post helpful tips and flying suggestions. Ask questions and learn something new!

Unknown Approach Option

Postby ITZREAL » 02 Mar 2011 13:08

I was just flying a flight, and at the tail end of the flight, I was given a vector to Visual 21 approach. I looked at the procedure options available and saw that there was an option for a VOR 21 approach. I chose this option as it would give me a better option for a controlled vector approach. Once I had chosen this option, I was given a choice of VOR or HDH approach. I have flown many times using a VOR visual approach. I have never heard of an HDH approach. What is it? I chose the VOR 21 approach and landed just fine. But, what is the HDH approach? What does HDH stand for?
ITZREAL

Re: Unknown Approach Option

Postby JSkorna » 02 Mar 2011 21:12

Hi,

Google does not have anything about HDH Approach. Are you sure that is what ATC said?

JSkorna
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby AS37 Norm Edwards » 03 Mar 2011 03:58

What are the airport codes (ICAO and IATA)?

AS37 Norm Edwards
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 37

Postby ITZREAL » 03 Mar 2011 08:28

After a little research I found my answer. After choosing the initial VOR 21 approach, the second option was either VOR or HDH. It turns out that the first request led to the option of a vector from the nearest VOR station or the nearest navaid fix. In this case, the nearest 'fix' was HDH. Now it makes sense. My choice was VOR but if I had chosen HDH I would still had gotten vectors to the airport but my entry into the final would have been much farther to the runway. The navaid is much farther to the runway than the VOR station.

By the way, the airport in discussion is OYHD - Hodeidah International.

Thanks.
ITZREAL

Postby AS37 Norm Edwards » 03 Mar 2011 14:00

Correct! I was going to check the local navaids based on the airport you were using - great you figured it out! Well done! :)

AS37 Norm Edwards
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 37

Postby ITZREAL » 04 Mar 2011 10:43

Thanks Norm. It's always good when you can solve a problem or question yourself. But as usual, you were there to help with the answer if needed. Thank you.
ITZREAL

Return to Flight School