VATSIM Question

Post helpful tips and flying suggestions. Ask questions and learn something new!

VATSIM Question

Postby Guest » 28 Jan 2006 04:10

Ok, I'm starting to wet my toes in VATSIM. I've flown while nobody has been around just some circuit touch-n-goes at KSRQ. Now tonight, I noticed that KTPA was manned so I was thinking I'd run some circuits to get a feel for the comms portion. Well here's my question, if I'm wanting to run circuits at KSRQ, would I contact KTPA to advise them of my intensions or should I just send a message to 122.80?

So basically do I contact KTPA or just Unicom? May be a stupid question but I have to ask :)

Thanks...

Postby AS37 Norm Edwards » 28 Jan 2006 05:46

hi there, generally it comes down to whether an airfield is unattended or not. If you have a switched on controller, they will contact you first as you enter their controlled airspace, in which case you can advise your intentions. If its unattended, unicom is advised.... as in the real world of flying, communications are vital, esp in unattended airspace because you don't know what other bogies are out there! Oh, also, depends on what role the controller is playing... it may be a centre, tower, ground, departure, approach etc etc... but as mentioned, as soon as you enter their airspace they will contact... and if you have the charts for the area and can work out the airspace boundaries, you can contact them first as you enter it. Following that, and if you do circuits in a controlled area, mandatory calls of airborne, downwind, base, final etc must apply. have fun!

AS37 Norm Edwards
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 37

Postby Guest » 28 Jan 2006 14:44

zappie wrote:hi there, generally it comes down to whether an airfield is unattended or not. If you have a switched on controller, they will contact you first as you enter their controlled airspace, in which case you can advise your intentions. If its unattended, unicom is advised.... as in the real world of flying, communications are vital, esp in unattended airspace because you don't know what other bogies are out there! Oh, also, depends on what role the controller is playing... it may be a centre, tower, ground, departure, approach etc etc... but as mentioned, as soon as you enter their airspace they will contact... and if you have the charts for the area and can work out the airspace boundaries, you can contact them first as you enter it. Following that, and if you do circuits in a controlled area, mandatory calls of airborne, downwind, base, final etc must apply. have fun!

Ahh time to look up downwind, base and final :) Don't know what those mean...

Thanks for the info!

Postby Guest » 28 Jan 2006 16:50

Hello Jason,

May I point you to this site? http://avsim.com/geoffschool/combined/circuit.htm

Thanks for the VATSIM signature ID. Hope the above site helps you get more comfortable on VATSIM.

If you like Geoff Butler's style he has a full course available from A to Z.

I have flown for almost 3 years on VATSIM and cannot imagine any other type of flying. The GA population is really starting to increase which means more and more controllers are learning the proper techniques regarding VFR flight rules.

I recommend starting small with some VFR circuits at an airport that has a TWR controller. Let him know you are learning, and he will be happy to assist you. Don't do this at a major busy airport. But there are plenty of TWR controllers in the slower areas that are new to controlling and they welcome any traffic they can find.

GOOD LUCK !! See ya in the VATSIM Skies :D

Vince Carlo

P. S. I should add...make sure when you look for a controlled airport that the current weather (VATSIM) has VFR conditions :lol: It's embarassing to file a VFR flight plan when visibility is half mile in rain and a 200 foot ceiling :oops: May I recommend Arizona? The Phoenix airspace has a fantastic ARTCC (ZAB) and a wonderful GA field in Scotsdale (KSDL). Phoenix records something like 330 days a year of VFR weather (not bad) 8) 8) 8)
Last edited by Guest on 28 Jan 2006 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » 28 Jan 2006 17:03

vjcarlo wrote:Hello Jason,

May I point you to this site? http://avsim.com/geoffschool/combined/circuit.htm

Thanks for the VATSIM signature ID. Hope the above site helps you get more comfortable on VATSIM.

If you like Geoff Butler's style he has a full course available from A to Z.

Very cool man thanks for the link!!!!

I have flown for almost 3 years on VATSIM and cannot imagine any other type of flying. The GA population is really starting to increase which means more and more controllers are learning the proper techniques regarding VFR flight rules.

I recommend starting small with some VFR circuits at an airport that has a TWR controller. Let him know you are learning, and he will be happy to assist you. Don't do this at a major busy airport. But there are plenty of TWR controllers in the slower areas that are new to controlling and they welcome any trafficv they can find.

I was just mentioning last night to someone how amazed I am at the level of organization VATSIM has. It's really amazing.

Yeah I plan on taking a C152 up and flying some circuits before I start flying my 1900 or bigger on VATSIM.

GOOD LUCK !! See ya in the VATSIM Skies :D

No doubt, see you in the blue!

Postby Guest » 30 Jan 2006 18:52

Here's a quick question, can military planes be flown on VATSIM, say from McDill AFB to Langley AFB in a B-2 or F117 or is VATSIM mainly a civilian usage network? I'm pretty sure this is a stupid question :)

And does anyone man military towers?

Postby Guest » 30 Jan 2006 23:36

Jason,

You can fly any aircraft you desire. You just have to stick to the rules with proper ATC clearances, flight plans, assigned FL's etc. There are numerous military aircraft flying on VATSIM daily. They usually fly the colors of one of the many military VAs, vUSN, vUSAF, vGC, etc.

I've seen everything from the SR 71 Blackbird at FL 760 to Air Force One :roll:

I have seen military base towers manned by members of the above mentioned VAs, but mostly it is the same as real world. ATC controllers are not limited to civilian/private aircraft. They are also trained and daily perform control of military aircraft.

The name of the game is to have fun. THAT's AN ORDER !

Vince

Return to Flight School