Windows 10, NVIDIA, Start Menu Issues...and Another Fix

Q & A about computer hardware and software. Discuss settings, errors, setup, etc.

Windows 10, NVIDIA, Start Menu Issues...and Another Fix

Postby AS201 Joe » 28 Sep 2016 12:30

Hi all, pardon my ramblings here.

A few days ago, I turned on the computer and, all of a sudden, the start menu wouldn't come up. I could right-click on it but not left-click. Same with the action center (over by the clock in the task bar). I could run Windows Explorer but not the Windows Store app. Nor could I run the EMail app. Seemed legacy type apps worked and Modern app didn't.

I spent a couple of days trying the solutions found on the internet. Everything from using Powershell to Registry edits, all to no avail. Oh well, guess I need to re-install :(

Reinstall done, updates freshly downloaded and installed. Argh! It's doing it again!!! :evil: Pop into the Add/Remove Programs, There are only maybe 3 so lets try that. Uninstalled the NVIDIA video drivers and everything started working again! Yay.

Automatic updates downloads new drivers, hmmm. Not working again. Turn off Device Driver installation in the System Properties so windows won't download them again. That didn't help...it did it anyway. Search the interned and find that Automatic Updates, sometimes, has problems installing video drivers. So, I downloaded the newest from NVIDIA's website and manually installed them. All is working fine again !

{tl;dr}
If the Start Menu starts acting funky in Windows 10, it might be new video card drivers. Might try manually installing them.

Note: in case you didn't catch it, I'm reinstalling, putting me even farther behind with my programming. :(

AS201 Joe
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 201

Re: Windows 10, NVIDIA, Start Menu Issues...and Another Fix

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 28 Sep 2016 21:45

Sorry to hear about this Joe! But thanks for sharing it just in case someone else runs into issues like this (including myself!) Good grief...

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 2] KMCO Orlando, Florida SKYPE:airsourceva
AirSource Pilot Number: 2

Postby flyingdutchman1949 » 29 Sep 2016 12:54

Hello,

I had the same experience and found a nice freeware tool that looks if all files and registries from W10 are available. If not he will repair your W10 to the default settings.
It took about 30 minutes to have my PC back to normal use with updated drivers and all addons.

This is the tool: Tweaking.com /windows repair.

Regards and good luck Frans

flyingdutchman1949
Student Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 187

Postby AS201 Joe » 30 Sep 2016 12:45

Thanks, Frans. I'll have a look at that

AS201 Joe
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 201

Return to Hardware / Software Discussion