New Computer

Q & A about computer hardware and software. Discuss settings, errors, setup, etc.

New Computer

Postby AllanH » 04 Jul 2014 19:55

Well have eventually followed others and have a new computer system. I'm not a techie, but here are the basic bits.
Windows 8.1
Intel i7-4770, CPU @ 3.40Ghz (3.9Ghz with TurboBoost, 8MB cache)
RAM 16.0 GB DDR3
64 bit system
Graphics card, AMD Radeon R9 270 (2GB)
Motherboard, Intel Z87 chipset
Sound, AMD HD Beats audio
Internal disk 2TB
Monitor, HP 23xi IPS LED
I also have available an external 2TB disk.

Under my now backup computer (Windows 7, Intel i3) I ran FS9 with all add-ons from the external drive.
Do the experts advise re-installing FS9 and now also FSX on an external drive, or should I put the two Flight Sims onto the internal drive but keep all my add-on sceneries on the external drive. I believe I read on one of the forums (cannot find it now) if using the 'C' drive to keep flight sim outside of the C/Programs files.
regards
Allan

AllanH
Private Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Re: New Computer

Postby Leemazz » 04 Jul 2014 20:21

Allan what you need is an SSD harddrive install your system on it , ie Windows 8 or whatever you use , then install FSX on the SSD .

Install your addons to another drive , your system will be lights out textures will load fast and no stutters with all sliders to the right .

I have a similair setup but different motherboard with Nvidia cards , you could probably go a bit higher with the overclocking on the i7 if it is an i7k i have mine clocked to 4.5

Personally i would not install FSX on an external Hard drive

Leemazz
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Return to Hardware / Software Discussion