Journey into insanity - aka: DIY Panel and Gauges

Q & A about computer hardware and software. Discuss settings, errors, setup, etc.

Journey into insanity - aka: DIY Panel and Gauges

Postby sonjamichelle » 04 May 2023 00:05

I ALMOST have MSFS2020 fully installed and calibrated. Finished getting all my AI packages installed, got all my add-ons, and I'm settling in on the "array" of ancillary apps I want to run (littlenavmap, RealTraffic, datalink, AirManager, REX Weather Force, FSUIPC and a couple of other little apps).

I've been messing with some overclocking, trying to squeeze out a bit more performance on the beast pc. Right now I'm just trying to find the balance between OC and Temp. Just about dialed in. I may have to set up some auxiliary cooling. My workshop tends to get warm in the summers, the A/C unit is a bit small for the space.

Now to the "insanity" part. I've always wanted to add a physical panel and gauge set up. Over the the years and with MSFS2020 I've got used to the Garmin G1000 in the Cessna 172/182, the Diamonds and the Cirrus SR22.

So, with that in my mind I am working on a couple of G1000 panels, an "eight pack" panel and a couple of GNS430's. If the 430's work well I'll do a GNS530 upgrade. There ARE some ready made G1000's and GNS units from places like RealSim Gear, Simionic, Emuteq and FlightSim Builder. Of course the cost for those ready made units is a bit out of the budget right now. And at least one setup requires a couple of iPads. I don't like that idea.

On FlightSimMaker there are files to 3D print the Garmin bezels, knobs and buttons. You just have to add the screens, controller boards, knobs and buttons. With raspberry pi and arduino this has become much easier. Along with Air Manager I can pop out the graphical part of the panel and put it on the correct display with the corresponding hardware controls.

There is another app that displays the usual analog "steam" gauges to another display or onto one controlled by a pi. You can also use Air Manager to control switches and knobs attached to pi or arduino units to mimic the knobs, buttons and switches on the gauge.

I printed out the Sidekick Add On for the Honeycomb Bravo and sourced the electronics on Amazon. This has the parking brake, annunciator cutoff and start/cutoff levers for engine one and two. It mounts to the bottom of the Bravo and places those controls under the main levers.

I still have my Saitek Radio Panel. The AP panel's digit display died so I may build another AP panel with segmented LEDs and knobs. Still deciding since those controls are on the G1000 as well. My Saitek switch panel does not play nicely along side the Bravo and most of the controls are already on the Bravo. So off to the spare parts pile it went.

The Radio panel works well though. It will be mounted beside the Bravo and angled under an auxiliary monitor that displays LittleNavMap and my Windows taskbar. My 3 Saitek FIP panels will be mounted under the Radio Panel and will display things like my engine gauges.

Off to the right of those two panels will go the Garmin GNS430 units. And if they work well, I may upgrade to a GNS530. I already have a 3.5 inch screen and Arduino board on the way to start the first GN430.

Now besides the G1000 we HAVE to HAVE the "six pack"! Though with the particular LCD screens I chose, this will become an "eight pack". The usual six, Air Speed, Attitude, Altitude, Vertical Speed, Turn Coordinator and Heading. The extra two slots will most likely be a VOR or two or an ADF. But since it is based on an LCD, they can really be anything.

If all those work, I MAY source a tiny screen to replicate a wet compass to mount above the monitor. Hey, go big or go home, right. :mrgreen:

I'll take a few pictures of the process, but since Tom "locked down" the picture sizes I'll have to size them properly so they can be displayed here along with larger hi-res ones with a link. I'll add them as I go.

Just a quick preview of the "eight pack" panel that will be mounted under the G1000

HiRes version here

At moment I have to break it up into 4 pieces if I 3D print it. Or I can laser cut the base and 3D print each bezel. I'll play around with that and see what gives me the best results.

I'll will document the project on my Flight Sim page, "Sonja's Hangar" It will have links, parts lists, some videos, etc as I work my way down the rabbit hole.

Wish me luck and see y'all in the skies!

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 103

Re: Journey into insanity - aka: DIY Panel and Gauges

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 04 May 2023 00:37

Sonja, holy cow - "the skies the limit" is reality here! Can see how insanity could wiggle its way in :). But the hard work is paying off and that is going to be (already sounds like it is!) a GREAT set up. I'd never want to leave the workshop haha

Amazing how technology has gotten us to this point - I mean wow basically 3D printing a cockpit - who would have thought years ago?!

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 2] KMCO Orlando, Florida SKYPE:airsourceva
AirSource Pilot Number: 2

Postby sonjamichelle » 04 May 2023 02:57

Amazing how technology has gotten us to this point - I mean wow basically 3D printing a cockpit - who would have thought years ago?!

Add a Laser Engraver/Cutter and a CNC and you're in biz!

I have the Laser (Glowforge) but an itty bitty CNC that is pretty cheap and crappy. But, I plan to scavange the controller and some of the motors and build a DIY one. Lot's of designs and how to's out there from folks who've, done so.

Once I know out a CNC, I'm looking to do the same for a 3D printer. Make one that will fit MY needs.

AND as a bonus, through all of this I'm learning a LOT of new stuff.

Sh-t, if this stuff was around 30+ years ago, I would have been in hog heaven!

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby sonjamichelle » 04 May 2023 07:10

The first prototype of the "8 pack" panel.

Hi-Res Here

The board was designed in 3DS Max, loaded into TinkerCad to export as a Flattened SVG so it could be uploaded to the Glowforge Laser Cutter. It was cut from a small scrap of Basswood Plywood I had laying around.

The bevels were found on the 3D file site Thingiverse and printed out of Blue PETG on a Troinxy CRUX 1 printer. The prints aren't super high quality since this is just a prototype.

The bolts are just some simple machine bolts I had left over from a box of assorted bolts and nuts from Amazon.

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 04 May 2023 10:38

Incredible!

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Postby sonjamichelle » 04 May 2023 13:14

This is just a VERY quick and dirty test of the gauge sizing. The LCD is NOT the one that will be used.

I plan on using one of these two LCD screens

Waveshare 11.9inch Capacitive Touch Display

waveshare 8.8inch Side Monitor

Hi-Res

And a crappy one handed video of the gauges in motion.

Of course things will look a LOT better with the proper display and the panel mounted properly against the screen. This was just a test and confirmation of values while editing the json file for gauge size and position. As you can see the Airspeed Indicator is cut off with this screen since it is only a 10 inch LCD.

Making progress!!!

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby sonjamichelle » 08 May 2023 00:34

This is the layout I'm currently going to go with.

No final LCDs or other electronics have been installed. These are just the face plates and bezels to give me an idea of how much space I will need. Right now everything is just sticky-tacked to the two existing touch displays and the VolAir's yoke tray.

And we zoom out:

The project photos can be followed here: https://gallery.designcreations.us/index.php?/category/145

I'll have a more in depth project page when I really get into the meat and 'taters of the project.

As it sits now:

The big 55" is the main flight sim monitor. I've found that FS2020 runs better with on monitor in full screen. Triple monitor performance isn't quite there yet, IMHO.

The portrait 27" to the right is where I put stuff like AI, Weather, data links for the instruments.

The 27" down to the right is where I place LittleNavMap, my flight plan and following map.

The 15" over to the left runs on a Linux based Intel NUC. Serves double duty at the moment controlling my 3D printers and will run Air Player 4 connected to Air Manager 4 to display other gauges and switches.

The Garmins will be run with a 10" touch LCD displayed my Air Manager and with hardware buttons controlled by an arduino. Project at https://fouldsy.github.io/piper-pa-28-flight-sim/g1000.html

Below the Garmins will be two 11"x4" LCDs that will display the "steam" gauges using Scott Vincent's Instrument Panel from github.

The old Samsung tablet runs Navigraph Charts.

Under the Honeycomb Bravo you can see the Sidekick addon printed in blue. This holds the parking brake, engine 1 and 2 start/cutoff levers and the annunciator cutoff button. Again these are controlled by an arduino.

Not pictured up above and a bit in front of the spare 'fridge is a 43" TV mounted to the ceiling. I use this for watch TV, and FlightRadar24 when it is connected to the PC.

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby sonjamichelle » 01 Jun 2023 22:09

Work on the cockpit continues.

I printed, installed and configured the Sidekick. It worked great! Added some nice realism to the experience.

A couple of shots of it in place.

THOUGH, I've "evolved" from the Sidekick.

Went "hog-wild" on this one! :mrgreen:

It is "loosely" based on the DA62 cockpit. The "throttle" levers in the picture are the Fuel X-Feed/Cut-Off levers found in the DA62. The Bravo of course provides the actual throttle. Currently the Cut-Off levers are being controlled by the "mixture" levers on the Bravo until I print and assemble the lower part of the console.

Right now the top two sections are printed. The main Power Switch panel is assembled, programmed and works great!

The rocker switches were scavenged from the Saitek/Logitech panels. The AP Panel died, so it was sitting in the "trash pile". I was on Amazon looking for rocker switches and encoders when the idea came to me to just reuse what was in the Saiteks.

Once I pulled them apart I could see why so many folks have issues with them being seen, working and just crapping out. The main wiring was about as thin as fishing line. The common ground was more like a "drool line" of solder. Like they just spot soldered to the terminals, drug along to the next, spot soldered and so on. Kind of cheap if you ask me.

I cleaned up the switches and soldered in some nice heavier gauge jumper wires. Fortunately there was so much solder on the terminals I was just able to "reuse" what was there and connect my wires. Which was nice since I can't really solder to save my life! Some heat-shrink tubing around all my connections and we were in business.

The Power Panel uses an Arduino Nano programmed with MobiFLight to give me functions inside FS2020.

On the Power Panel I have (from L to R):

Rockers: (from the old Saiteks)
    Master Batteries (Master Elec)
    Fuel Pumps (L and R)
    Master Avionics
    Pitot Heat

Toggles: (New from Amazon)
    Left Alternator
    LH Engine Master
    RH Engine Master
    Right Alternator

Push Buttons : (New from Amazon)
    LH Engine Starter
    RH Engine Starter

Above the starters are three LEDs (New from Amazon)

Left Toe Brake (Orange)
    Parking Brake (Red)
    Right Toe Brake (Orange)

The center red LED comes on when the parking brake is engaged. When I was testing the initial setup I saw that the parking brake LED was coming on as I used the toe brakes to taxi. That gave me the idea to use additional LEDs to light up when the toe brakes are applied. In FS2020 there are variables for the left and right brake positions. With a bit of PreCondition code the Parking Brake lights up when engaged and stays off while you taxi, but the orange toe brake LEDs light up as each toe brake is applied.

Kinda neat if ya ask me! :mrgreen:

The Gamin GTN750 is currently sitting off to the side drying. Once dry and assembled it will display the GTN750 with a pop-gauge" using JDs PMSGTN750 on Others Mod from FlightSim.to. This mod adds a GTN750 to most of the default Aircraft regardless of it having the panel by default.

I am using a 7 Inch IPS LCD Touch Screen Display powered by a micro USB and HDMI cable off the second Nvidia RTX3090.

I'll update the pictures once it is dry and assembled.

The rest of the console is yet to be printed. The Garmin GCU475 (or rather a look alike) was completely modeled from scratch using a reference photo found on Google. Everything will be 3D printed except the electronic components. FlightSimMaker has a turn-key version in development. I modeled my own from a reference photo to the one found on MyPilotStore. This panel will be a work in progress along with the main G1000 suite. a lot of printing, soldering and programming for those!

The cut-off levers will be 3D printed as well. You can see where I got the inspiration for the Power Panel. I MAY reuse the old Saitek USB Throttle Quadrant, but it too is kind of cheap and flimsy feeling. Not solid like the Bravo. If I print it myself I can really get the feel and response that I desire.

I almost forgot about the last minute Parking Brake addition. This was 3D printed and uses a toggle from one of the old sacrificial Saitek panels. Works like a charm!

Additional parts and items used in the build so far:

Arduino Nano V3.0 ATmega328P Microcontroller
ELEGOO 120pcs Multicolored Dupont Wire 40pin Male to Female, 40pin Male to Male, 40pin Female to Female Breadboard Jumper Ribbon Cables Kit
Yosoo Health Gear Light Emitting Diode Holder, 50pcs
EDGELEC 100pcs 220 ohm Resistors
Mobiflight to program the panel functions.
Air Manager v4 to display the Garmin instruments on secondary displays
MSFS PopOut Manager to "auto pop" the Garmins onto the desired screens.

Right now the G1000 instruments are just pop outs using overlays provided by Air Manger with touch and mouse function. These are displayed on a couple of ELECROW 10.1 Inch 1920X1080p IPS Touchscreen Monitors attached via a USB to HDMI adapter. I'll most likely upgrade to the 4 HDMI version as things get more "advanced".

Things are rocking right along. It will take time to print, procure parts, assemble and program the G1000 suite. I did begin to print some physical steam gauges, but the quality and smoothness just wasn't what I desired versus using an 8 inch 480 x 1920 LCD to display the gauges using Air Manger or Scott Vincent's Instrument Panel from github. Of course covering the LCD with printed bezels. I will most likely put the steam gauge LCD in place of the current Saitek COM panel. I'm thinking of building/modeling a nicer looking more compact COM panel using MobiFlight to provide functions. Even though I do have the Audio Panel from the G1000 suite, I like the idea of having a larger dedicated frequency readouts in addition to the G100. (My old eyes will like that much better!)

By placing the steam gauges above the Saitek FIPS, I can utilize the rotary knob on the Altimeter to adjust baro pressure. The other two FIPS will display RPM and Fuel for the Engines. This probably goes without saying, I'll eventually end up ditching the FIPS and building some nice 4" square LCDs with much better resolution and capabilities. Besides, the FIPs are always losing connection between reboots. I usually have to reach around and unplug one or more so SPAD.next will recognize them. A real pain in the keister. A usb hub with individual power switches helps with having to reach around back, now I just reach up and toggle the power for the FIPS and restart SPAD.

I purchased a few FIP gauges from the FIP Gauges site.. They have a nice selection of good quality gauges for about 5 to 7 Euros a piece. The RPM, Altimeterand VSIgauges are quite nice. There is quite a nice selectionto choose from. Buuuut, I can see the money flying from wallet now. One reason why I'd like to replace the FIPs with regular LCD panels.

I will continue to post updates here and on my Sim site (https://www.sonjas-hangar.us). On that site I will go into more detail of the builds, software and programming. I'll add some videos and nice hi-res photos too. (Psssst: Tom, why is the forum width locked??? You can only post 600 pixel wide photos!) Hehe, granted, that restrictions does make the forum flow better without oversized photos. But phpbb should handle the sizing automatically. Been a while since I've installed/configed phpbb though.

May your landings equal your take offs and keep your stick on the ice!

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 02 Jun 2023 01:04

Sonja the complexity is making my head spin LOL. Don't know how you manage this but the results once complete will be amazing to say the least! (Already very impressive!) And LED toe brake lights? WOW. :o

I do need to check on the photo width, had trouble with it before so got it to this point where at least is does keep everything in line. Unfortunately the resize was not working.

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Postby sonjamichelle » 02 Jun 2023 03:34

AS 2 Tom Little wrote: And LED toe brake lights? WOW. :o

I'm still fiddling with those. I have to dive into the Mobiflight docs to get the exact code parameters. I got it working once, but since the last reboot the config didn't save. I lost a few functions and I of course didn't write anything down, lol.

AS 2 Tom Little wrote:I do need to check on the photo width, had trouble with it before so got it to this point where at least is does keep everything in line. Unfortunately the resize was not working.

phpBB should have a setting for fixed width or "fluid" width. The exact place in the settings is beyond my memory. I THINK under general board settings. Might even be under themes, it's been a while. phpBB is one of those always moving targets. When you think you have it figured out, they make major changes.

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 02 Jun 2023 23:26

sonjamichelle wrote:
AS 2 Tom Little wrote:

phpBB should have a setting for fixed width or "fluid" width. The exact place in the settings is beyond my memory. I THINK under general board settings. Might even be under themes, it's been a while. phpBB is one of those always moving targets. When you think you have it figured out, they make major changes.

Next time you post with pics try it out, I think I located the setting?

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Postby sonjamichelle » 02 Jun 2023 23:34

AS 2 Tom Little wrote:
Next time you post with pics try it out, I think I located the setting?

Will do. I've got a few more parts that finished printing and are ready to paint. :D

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby sonjamichelle » 06 Jun 2023 21:12

Everything for the center console is printed, painted and in place.

I just have to clean a few things ups, arrange a few bits and bobs then I can start up a flight, poistion my gauges and take some nice pictures. Maybe a video too.

Then it is on to the G1000 panels. I have a bezel printed out, FINALLY got a clear explanation of why the gauges size the way they do when popped out. (Has to to do with a 4:3 gauge on a 16:9 screen. I'll post the link to the fellow who made it all "click" for me.)

I've sourced a few 4:3 1026x768 LCD panels on Amazon ranging from $80-$120USD. Any one of them will fit in my bezels nicely and give me nice full gauge displays.
I've finally decided on a three display, a G1000 on either side of a third that will be used for various things. Moving map, charts, etc. With touch support it opens up a few options.

The GNS430/530 have been replaced with a GTN750 (available from PMS5, it will popped out and displayed on the center console.

I tested popping out the ATC window on the center display as well. Works great with touch features. With that said, I MAY move the GTN750 to its own dedicated unit. I have some bezels printed that will work well. They were intially tests for the center console, so I may be able to repurpose them, well use them as origninally intended, lol.

I do have a mock up of a GCU475 printed. However funtionality of that unit isn't in place for MSFS2020. So it doesn't really make sense to build one right now. I MAY put the ATC panel in it's place with another screen. It is a horizontally placed screen so the choice will be determined by what will display nicely without have to pull apart and redesign that section of the console.

I reinstalled my PC OS and MSFS and all of its apps. Currently I'm just waiting on the AIG AI to finish doping its install of the AI models and flight plans. I'm extracting my AddOns (sceneries, aircraft, avionics and associated bits) once tha tis done I'll move all the addons into a nice clean sorted directory structure that will make sense inside of [url]MSFS AddOn Linker[/url]. This is a nice app that lets you "install" AddOns OUTSIDE of your main Community folder. This enables you to put all your AddOns on another drive and even split the locations across several drives. Thereby saving space and not having to dropping more sheclkes than neccessary for a LARGE SSD. You also get the added bonus that if you ever need to reinstall MSFS2020 you DON'T need to reinstall all your AddOns too. Just run the linker and Bob's Your UIncle they are all "installed" and ready. In addition the linker lets you dynamically activate/deactivate AddOns as needed. FOr instance I mainly fly in the Southwest United States region. SO I enable my main features, aircraft and the sceneries required. If I decide to fly elsewhere in the world, I can deavtive my Home Stopping Grounds and activate the region I want to fly in. Thei GREATLY speeds up the start time of MSFS and INCREASES the FPS. When I was laoding EVERYTHING it would take upwards of 20 minutes for MSFS loa dand drop me into the main menu. I would average about 20FPS on most flights with it getting up cloase to 30FPS in the unpopulated areas. Using the linker PROPERLY and only loading what I need, FS2020 starts in the average 3-5 minutes that it is normally supposed to do. My FPS went from 20 to 80!!! BIG difference!

I'm working around the house today while my FS PC cranks out the extractions and installing the AI. Once it is compelete I'll take the pictures of the installed and working Center Console. I'll do a full write as well, with files, links, some instructions and what-not later on and add it to my FS Site.

See y'all in the skies!

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby sonjamichelle » 11 Jun 2023 08:25

After much fiddling, an odd loading error (or lack thereof) which precipitated a reinstall and an eventual OS reinstall. I think I was having issues because that PC was participating in the Windows Insider Beta. Once I "rolled back" everything loaded again. That gave me a second chance to really round out the add-ons and sort the community folder nice and neatly.

I just flew a flight from KOUN (Oklahoma City, OK) to KSGR (Houston, TX) in the Cirrus SR22. All the pop-outs worked, touch screen for the ATC panel on the center console worked out great! I'll put the GTN750 most likely on another 7in touch screen in its own purpose built "side" panel. With the AddOns sorted out neatly and utilizing MSFS AddOn Collector and MSFS AddOn Linker to turn on/off what I need for a particular flight I am seeing a jump from 25FPS to 80+!

The G1000 bezels are printed, painted and engraved. I'm just waiting for the paint to dry so that I can attach the bezel faces.

Forgive the "mess" and the overpainted work area. The setup so far:

Panels painted and prepped for assembly

The panel frames were printed on a Prusa Mini 3D printer in PLA (Purple, actually, lol).
Then sprayed with flat black Rustoleum Spray Paint.

The face pieces are made from 2mm Card Stock, painted with white primer, then painted with the flat black. The sheet was then placed in the Glowforge laser engraver/cutter. I used a high speed low/power setting to etch away the black layer. For future projects I'll lower the power a bit more. The lettering turned a bit yellow with the heat. Then I used a slower higher power setting to cut the openings for the knobs and buttons and the overall shape, then they'll be glued onto the PLA frames. I was going to use white acrylic with a black paint, but I couldn't find a thin enough acrylic sheet readily available. The cardstock was in stick at the local Michael's for $3.

So far the easy part is done. Now it's time to source the electronics, LCDs and PCBs. And of course assembly and programming. The programming shouldn't be too hard since most of the code is already done and available on GitHub. I won't be using iPads, instead I'll just directly display the Pop-Outs on the LCDs inside the bezels using a USB to HDMI adapter. I already use one for the existing displays. I'll just upgrade to a four port model to support the two G1000's, the G3000 and the GTN750. I could even use the old two port for the console screen and the Steam Gauge display as well. That leaves the 3 Display Ports and 2 HDMIs on the RTX3090 for the main monitors and Valve Index VR headset. I will eventually upgrade to a 49" Ultra-wide monitor simialr to what RealSim Gear uses for their Cirrus package. I found a decent Asus LCD on Amazon for less than $800/USD. That will give me the clarity and smoothness that the 55" TV doesn't.

Moving on,

The center panel in place:

HiRes picture - here.

You can see the little 7in touchscreen in the center console. The ATC "window" popped out on here with touch activated using MSFS PopOut Manager works great! Though with my tendancy to fat finger the touch on top of the tremor, I may need to use a stylus, lol.

In the HiRes picture you can see the Power Panel just under the throttles on the bravo. Using Mobiflight and an Arduino Nano I've got full control of the batteries, avionics, alternators, engine masters, fuel pumps and starters. the last black toggle is the Pitot Heat. The round red pull knob is the parking brake.

Lights are controlled on the default Bravo toggles. The last 7th toggle is yet to be assigned. (Suggestions?) The cheapo flap default lever on the Bravo is currently assigned to the brakes until I wire up the pull knob.

On the default trim wheel is just a printed cover to make the trim a bit easier to use. I may ask my wife to dress it up a bit with some black and white paint. The throttles are just the commercial levers from the default Bravo kit with a couple of printed covers for the itty bitty knobs. Again my lovely and talented wife painted the covers and the numbers. (She DOES love me!)

The two mixture levers are currently the fuel on/x-feed/cut-off levers. Soon to be replaced by the black ones at the end of the panel just like the DA62. I still have to figure out how I'll operate those. Either some toggles attached to the levers or frankensteined from my old Saitek throttle quad. On the end we have a nice spring loaded flap lever with a printed detent for a really authoratative feeling flap control! The detent can be swapped out with other ones for 4 or more positions. And of course the design of the Bravo allows me to mix up the levers as I change aircraft. The current setup really works well for most twin engines (piston and turboprop). I can even go single engine without any physical changes, I just choose the correct profile in MSFS and move the two throttles as one. If I do any Twin Jets, I just remove the mixture levers, shift the throttles over to the right and pop on the spoiler lever. Everything else works well with that setup too. Even the power panel with the toggles and the push button "ignitors".

Above all that is the Saitek/Logitech Radio Panel and three FIPs. The FIPs display Altitude, Attitude and VSI. I will eventually use an 8 inch long by 4 inch high (roughly) LCD to display a Six-Pack set of gauges. Or I'll splurge and get the 11 inch and add some RPM or NAV gauges or someting.

The three Garmins will go across the top in place of the current HDMI screens. The brown Garmin GTU475 is just a static mock-up. Currently there isn't support for the unit in MSFS. Until then I may just leave it as is until supported and either scratch build one or get the RealSim Gear Unit.

The two black levers at the end will be the Fuel control. On/X-Feed/Cut-Off, just like the DA62. Under those are two toggles which will be the Aux Fuel Pumps.

And a quick overview shot of the progress so far:

Yes, I do use an X-Box controller these days. I find that I can no longer keep my arms up and extented on a full yoke for any length of time. With the neurorapthy and tremor I begin to hurt in short order. Using the X-Box controller I can rest my arms in my lap and easily reach everything else while maintinaing stick control. I did think about a Diamond style center stick, but I could never really get used to those. Even in the real DA20.

Yup, the decent into insantiy is firmly under way!

BTW, Tom, the pictures are no longer restricted BUT do get cut off at 600 pixels. Resizing is still necessary otherwise you'll only get a portion of the pitcure. Since most phones these days do a 4K resolution you only get the top left 8th of the picture.. I'll try to find that fluid layout setting for you when I have a bit of time to poke around on my web server.

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 11 Jun 2023 09:44

Wow what a project! "So far the easy part is done" huh? LOL!

Impressive attention to detail and dedication!

And thanks for the feedback Sonja, I know the picture settings/layout have always been a problem on this forum and now in fact I am afraid of fiddling with the layout templates as I am getting some strange errors.

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Next

Return to Hardware / Software Discussion