Honeycomb Bravo with MSFS2020 on a Volair Sim flight chair.

Q & A about computer hardware and software. Discuss settings, errors, setup, etc.

Honeycomb Bravo with MSFS2020 on a Volair Sim flight chair.

Postby sonjamichelle » 08 Mar 2023 11:02

We are finally getting moved into our new place, well unpacking and now that the weather is tolerable, working outside and getting our sheds/storage in place and things out of the garage and off the patio.

This also means I re-evaluated my workspace and decided to again move into a converted garage. Mo' Space!!!

Setting up the VolairSim I retrieved from my folks place and setting up the flight deck again I had to hunt for a video about mounting the HC Bravo Throttle to the VolairSim. Let me tell you, trying to put it in the spot where the old Logitech/Saitek throttles was NOT happening. I tried every which way to line up the holes, the mount, etc.

I took to Google and YouTube and found that someone had mounted the throttle UNDER the avionics tray. They used some aluminum angle brackets and screws. Me, well I used the plastic spacers from a TV wall mounting kit. I have LOTS of those laying around. I found some longer bolts in one of the many drawers of screws, nuts and bolts, the spacers and we were in business. Though this DOES impede using the supplied keyboard tray in its usual spot. I moved the bar for that into the middle slot usually used to a combat style stick, adjusted things and it feel like it will work.

The original throttle plate I set up so the edge would help give a bit of extra support to the front of the Bravo. It also makes a handy dandy little mouse tray/pad. The other plate for the left hand side of the chair I mounted on the lower bar coming out from the right side holding the "new" mouse tray and it now becomes a nice little drink/munchie shelf. I may print out a cup holder to screw to the plate. These days I'm always knocking my cup off the desk and what have you. So I'm going to take a page from my truck and print a high faluten cup holder. :mrgreen:

During my hunt I came across a video about getting the Bravo's LEDs working with FS2020. I haven't tried it yet, but from the video it has much promise!

Once my workshop, office and flight area are clean enough to show off, I'll add some pictures.

It will be nice to get back in the air after a few months of stress.

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 103

Re: Honeycomb Bravo with MSFS2020 on a Volair Sim flight cha

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 09 Mar 2023 01:35

Hey Sonja,

Glad you got moved in now and yes much less stress coming up! Enjoy and yes send us some pics once the flight deck is complete!

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 2] KMCO Orlando, Florida SKYPE:airsourceva
AirSource Pilot Number: 2

Postby sonjamichelle » 11 Mar 2023 07:57

Just a quick preview of the new workshop setup.

It's a bit of a nightmare right now. I need to clean up all the small tools, bits and bobs on the workbench. Put the pegboard up so I can mount all the Ryobi 18v power tools. Finish setting up the Flight Sim. Then I have to move and mount all my filament above the printers on their racks, That's about 50 1kg spools or so. I'm trying to think of the best way to mount the pegboard for all my Army Painter paints while still allowing us to share common items between the two craft tables. I'll probably just mount it vertically to the side of the bench near my lights and magnifier. At least until I craft some turn-table paint racks. I am NOT paying $40 a pop from amazon or Michaels. I can make at least THREE for the same price.

Full Size Image:

https://www.designcreations.us/images/DC_WorkShop.png

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 13 Mar 2023 22:23

Wow that's a lot of space to work with and once you have everything where you want it, it should be an incredible setup! :D

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Postby sonjamichelle » 21 Mar 2023 05:23

We're are thinking ov moving the big Husky workbench and the stainless steel table with the Ryobi tools out into the big shed. That is once we get it built. Just waiting for a warm and windless day. If it's warm, we have 20mph winds. If it's windless it's too damn cold. We're at that freaky weather part of the season here in OKC.

I'll move the resin printers over to where the big husky was. (Over to the left corner of the pic, just in view of the camera.)

We have an old bar height kitchen table on the back patio we'll probably put in the open area. Give me a nice big place to work and a place for us to sit and do some bigger projects.

We have curtains on the front across the windows. Certainly helps with temperature and gives some privacy. And we just put some up in front of the washer/dryer area to make it more aesthetic.

Unfortunately one nigh my PTSD got the best of me and I trhew something across the room and it hit the TV on the flightsim. Yup, down one 43" 4K TV. We put the TV that was going to be mounted on the ceiling on it for now. My Mother-in-Law has our old 55". The coax connector broke and they watch cable/live TV so they got a new one. I'll put that on the flightsim. Not 4K, but hey, if I want 4K I have the Valve Index 4K VR goggles. There the 4K is worth it. My eyes REALLY can't see the difference these days when watching bare TV. Besides, FS runs better at a 1920x1080 resolution vs the 2446x1440 of 4K. A noticeable increase in FPS.

It's getting there. I had a two car garage in the old place too that we converted. But this one seems bigger. I think it is just more a layout thing. This garage is a bit longer since ot has the laundry, but the same width.

Now I just need to get more outlets and breakers. I can pop the one breaker if I have all four printers going and BOTH PC's cranking away. FORGET firing up the laptop and/or the GlowForge as well, lol. Right now it's good. It'll just be an issue during the hotter parts of the summer when the portable A/C unit is NEEDED. The weather at the moment lets us turn it off for a while most days.

Once we have it complete I'll do a nice panorama picture of video walk-through.

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 22 Mar 2023 23:29

Wow that's some work to do to get there, but will be well worth it!

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Postby sonjamichelle » 24 Mar 2023 23:38

Making progress. I have the FlightSim PC installed and updated.

On to finish installing/updating FS and all its add-ons.

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby sonjamichelle » 02 Apr 2023 23:30

I'm going to put the 55" on the FlightSim. And I'm thinking I may need to reformat the drive, reinstall FS. My last setup flight was VERY stuttery. Shouldn't me on a 28core i9 with 128GB of RAM and two RTX3090 cards. Should be buttery smooth. And my AI wasn't showing up. Time to clean up the entire FS drive. I guess.

BUT, I have been busy working on some things flight related.

I WAS trying to post the actual images, but the forum kept timing out trying to determine if the images were less than 600 pixels. So, just links to the image are posted instead. Sorry.

https://gallery.designcreations.us/i.php?/upload/2023/04/01/20230401122643-91470a54-sm.jpg

https://gallery.designcreations.us/i.php?/upload/2023/04/01/20230401122643-5814f6c9-sm.jpg

Being next to Tinker AFB we see the E3 taking off all the time!

https://gallery.designcreations.us/_data/i/upload/2023/04/02/20230402233747-4490e52b-sm.jpg

This one is ready for prep-work. Gap-filling, sanding, etc then off to priming.

I've always been a fan of the Cessna 337.

https://gallery.designcreations.us/i.php?/upload/2023/04/02/20230402232321-7c3b2c74-sm.jpg

https://gallery.designcreations.us/_data/i/upload/2023/04/02/20230402232321-392cfcbf-sm.jpg

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

Return to Hardware / Software Discussion