New 6 Screen VolairSim Setup with MSFS 2020

Q & A about computer hardware and software. Discuss settings, errors, setup, etc.

New 6 Screen VolairSim Setup with MSFS 2020

Postby sonjamichelle » 14 Jan 2022 18:36

I THINK I've finally found the final setup for my FlightSim. I bit the bullet and purchased the lifetime subscription to SPAD.next so all my Saitek controls work again.

I moved the VolarSim back into the workshop too. So far I've had several successful flights and at least one MyAAS flight too. Getting ready to do a flight from KOUN to KDEN in the Cirrus SR22.

Overall shot.

Left Side with FlightPlanGO on the Android Tablet and SimToolKitPro up top.

Front and center with the Saitek/Logitech setup. I may get 3 more FIPS and get my self a real gauge config. The Small Android Tablet runs GlassCockpitToSim for a G1000 like display.

Right side with LittleNAVMap and OBS for Live Streaming.

Throttle Quads with custom printed (and painted!) levers.

Close up of the G1000 on the old Samsung Galaxy Tab 4.

Full size photos can be seen in my Gallery here. Along with the "old" setups.

When I'm in a sharing mood (and don't look God awful) I stream on Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/sonjakg5yfz

I'm also going to see if I can use the NVIDIA Game Overly to stream on Facebook and/or YouTube as well.

******************************************** Installation Instructions *************************************************

In order to get the NVIDIA Surround to work with disparate monitors (eg: differnt resoulution, odd number of monitors) I follwed the following instructions:

Code: Select all
We had a client who commissioned an experience that ran through a touch table comprised of two screens, spanned to make one, with a IR sensor touch bar. The experience also included four projectors displaying content on the walls around the table from floor to ceiling. When we built our initial set up, there were no issues having the spanned displays on the table as well as four external monitors so we didn't worry too much about it. However, whenever we had a separate hardware issue that required attention, we noticed that we couldn't get the displays to revert back to the original set up, there was no option to span the original displays, and if we enabled SLI and did so, we lost the option to run other screens from the second card. This was a problem.

We tried everything, but as you know the nVidia documentation says explicitly that you can not have more than one external screen with spanned displays. We were confused due to the fact that it just worked before. So we built a separate PC to run some tests and found the work-around.

First, remove the SLI bridge between the cards. This sounds counterintuitive but we've actually seen a performance increase when removing the SLI bridge on the 1080 TI cards we are using for the experience. Plus, this is how our solution currently works. Once this is done, plug the displays you want to span into the top most card, the primary one, and unplug the other displays from your secondary card.

Second, Go into the Device Manager and find your second GPU. It should be located under the Display adapters and should be the second option. Right click it and choose "disable device".

Third, open up nVidia Control Panel and go to the "Enable SLI, Configure Surround, PhysX" tab. Enable surround and configure the screens you want to surround there. We are currently using two screens in surround and haven't tested with a higher number yet. but this has worked for us consistently. Apply the changes once you are done and try resetting the computer to make sure your changes stay.

Fourth, Once the computer is back up, go back to the device manager and re-enable the second card. Reopen nVidia Control Panel and go to "Setup Multiple Displays". Plug the extra displays you want into the second card one-by-one, ensuring they are operating correctly. Position the screens as you want them to appear and set your spanned screens to be the primary display. Apply changes.

Fifth, restart the computer and make sure your configuration comes back as intended.

I'm not sure if this would help you at all, but in doing a ton of research I couldn't find anything like the setup we ended up utilizing. Hopefully, if someone else has this issue it will help. Good luck developing.

This worked for me and allowed me to set up Surround on the 3 UHD monitors and leave the rest alone.

One thing I have to add, when it comes to MSFS using the surround you have to make sure that the Surround Monitor is set as your MAIN/Primary display in Windows. Otherwise MSFS will NOT see the surround resolution, only the max resolution of your primary display.
Last edited by sonjamichelle on 17 Jan 2022 12:30, edited 1 time in total.

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 103

Re: New 6 Screen VolairSim Setup with MSFS 2020

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 16 Jan 2022 00:38

Whoa! Speechless. No time to fly? That's why setting all of this up! :D :lol: Looks great.

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 2] KMCO Orlando, Florida SKYPE:airsourceva
AirSource Pilot Number: 2

Re: New 6 Screen VolairSim Setup with MSFS 2020

Postby sonjamichelle » 16 Jan 2022 14:21

I decided to make some changes. Also 2 of 3 3D printers at the moment are inop, so that freed up a bit of time. Hence why I decided to move things around and dedicate some more time to just some fun. I'm retired, why should I be busy all the time, right? :wink:

And with the lifetime subscription to SPAD.Next I really don't have worry about fussing with the Saitek controls as much now, so setting up a flight is a LOT simpler!!! I also uninstalled a couple of apps that were interfering with smooth operation of my PC, so that helped as well. It's a nice beefy machine, 128GB DDR5 RAM, 2x RTX2080 Supers and a 28 core i9. I think if I back down the resolution of MSFS I can double my FPS, I have it running at max resolution, something like 7380x3420 at the moment. Still smooth at at around 20-30FPS but I can get that back to 30-40FPS if I back down a res or two.

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 103

Return to Hardware / Software Discussion