Lesson Learned

Learn from others mistakes, above all be safe!

Lesson Learned

Postby AshleyW » 13 Jun 2015 12:44

Flying EDDF to LMML yesterday A321, fs9. All was going very well at FL320, when in the real world, storms were approaching rapidly. I kept trying to rush as the thunder crashed around me. Over two hours into my flight decending along the ILS. Within 3nm I lowered my gear, that's when it hit - BAM!
The lightning shut me down! :evil:

Lesson learned: Always save often! With or without MyAAS! and always use surge protector. My PC had surge protection but my monitor did not. Lucky, I had a spare monitor from an old system, but my flat screen is no more! :(
AshleyW

Re: Lesson Learned

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 14 Jun 2015 11:55

AshleyW wrote:Flying EDDF to LMML yesterday A321, fs9. All was going very well at FL320, when in the real world, storms were approaching rapidly. I kept trying to rush as the thunder crashed around me. Over two hours into my flight decending along the ILS. Within 3nm I lowered my gear, that's when it hit - BAM!
The lightning shut me down! :evil:

Lesson learned: Always save often! With or without MyAAS! and always use surge protector. My PC had surge protection but my monitor did not. Lucky, I had a spare monitor from an old system, but my flat screen is no more! :(

:shock: Last week my Wife and I were watching a video on my PC / TV and thunder was heard about 5 minutes before it (far away) al then seemingly out of the blue a sudden BOOM! Lightning struck right outside the window, destroyed my PC, TV, Modem, Wireless modem, pool light, and hopefully nothing else. Still recovering and will be for some time.

have surge protector but the lightning went int through cable. Fried motherboard and power box and power board for tv. Sounds like a bad week for many.

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 2] KMCO Orlando, Florida SKYPE:airsourceva
AirSource Pilot Number: 2

Re: Lesson Learned

Postby AshleyW » 14 Jun 2015 13:36

Wow, guess I was pretty lucky then.
AshleyW

Return to vNTSB Incident Reports