Flight TDU22 NWWW-YBBN very close to crash during approach

Learn from others mistakes, above all be safe!

Flight TDU22 NWWW-YBBN very close to crash during approach

Postby as099mw » 10 Jul 2006 19:04

I fly all my approaches manualy with nav instruments set to NAV (not GPS) mode. NAV1 radio is usually tuned to the assigned ILS and NAV2 to the airport VOR/DME.

Soon after A/P disconnection during approach to YBBN, spoilers were deployed to decrease IAS below 250 kts. At the same moment a handoff to Brisbane approach occured. Unfortunately, the APP frequency had been disturbed. I was able to listen to APP only, but unable to confirm/answer any message due to an endless ATIS from some other airport on the same frequency. I was even unable to switch to YBBN tower due to the way, how FS9 ATC works in IFR mode (tuning the freq manually did not help).

I continued to fly the approach according to instructions received earlier (ILS APP RWY 19), still playing with radios and trying to avoid the disturbing ATIS. To make things easier I switched on A/P Heading hold and Alt hold modes, but forgot to switch A/P master and ATH. A sudden stall occured when intercepting ILS RWY 19 and the aircraft was completely out of control. I recovered at no more than 600ft AGL, after several excessive manoeuvres, far below GS, but still was unable to stabilize the approach. Fortunately, after several seconds of panic (dark nigth, fog, zero visibility), I noted the two rows of yellow lights on my A320 panel and retracted those spoilers finaly. After climbing back to GS, the approach was standard but without contact with YBBN tower. I was able to tune GND and to request taxi to the gate as usually immediately after landing and leaving the RWY 19.

The cause of the accident is obvious. I forgot to retract spoilers while trying to solve problems with Comm radio. And I forgot to fly, to navigate, and to communicate in this particular order.

Well, I have a lucky day today. A very similar real world situation ended much worse. See http://sunnyday.mit.edu/accidents/calirep.html

Cheers,
AS099, MW, still alive :wink:

as099mw
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby AS37 Norm Edwards » 10 Jul 2006 19:40

Hi there. An occurrence like this is not an unheard of one. And there have been RL accidents in the past where, mostly by distraction, the Pilot in Command was not aware of spoiler deployment... however these days normally there are in-Flight Deck warnings of this, but also Co-Pilot intervention. The distraction was no doubt the problems with comms. For YBBN there is a frequency double-up and this can be fixed by using the AFCAD programme to manually change the ATIS frequency to another frequency. If you need some help with this I can email you an updated airfield file for YBBN. Good to see that you recovered the aircraft tho and given how things happen quickly at low altitude like that, one can just imagine how it would be in RL. Good work in the end though!

Norm

AS37 Norm Edwards
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 37

Postby AS 506 Jay Kae » 11 Jul 2006 03:23

Close call then, happy that you made it safe though :)

AS 506 Jay Kae
Instrument Rated Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Return to vNTSB Incident Reports