ASHA C130 Mishap Near Bakersfield, CA

Learn from others mistakes, above all be safe!

ASHA C130 Mishap Near Bakersfield, CA

Postby AS573 Darryl Roach » 19 Feb 2011 02:36

On a return flight from Salinas, CA to its home base in Tucson, AZ, an ASHA C130 recovered successfully from a stall. The aircraft had been at a cruising altitude of 25,000 ft MSL for not longer than 20 minutes and about 35nm NW of Bakersfield, CA, when the PIC was alerted to a stall horn and a flashing warning signal from the annunciator panel. The PIC immediately disengaged the autothrottle and autopilot, reduced the throttle to idle, and brought the aircraft to a nose down attitude. Slowly applying more throttle as the aircraft recovered, the PIC eventually returned the aircraft to its cruising altitude. The crew did a quick inspection and decided to continue enroute.

Upon further inspection of maintenance logs, the FO discovered that the aircraft had been outfitted with autothrottle devices from a Boeing 747, thus being made for high speed turbine engines could not control turboprop engines at low speed. A note was made for maintenance to replace the device with the correct unit, and the rest of the flight was completed with manual throttle.

========================================================

Real Reason: I don't have a panel that works in FSX for the C130, so I had to piggyback the 747 panel. :roll: :P I should have thought of that. D'oh!
AS573 Darryl Roach

Re: ASHA C130 Mishap Near Bakersfield, CA

Postby AS37 Norm Edwards » 19 Feb 2011 12:49

Thanks for the detailed PIREP, seems right that lockheed avionics don't talk well with Boeing!

AS37 Norm Edwards
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 37

Return to vNTSB Incident Reports