Engine flameout

Learn from others mistakes, above all be safe!

Engine flameout

Postby Leemazz » 20 Dec 2010 20:47

While cruising over Russia out of the blue two engines flamed out i was flying the PMDG MD-11 cruising at FL330 at about 414 GS . The aircraft automatically went into a descent and after a few atempts at getting engines 1 and 3 going they finally sparked into life at an altitude of 3351ft .

The air temperature outside was -68 so im guessing its ice in the fuel but enigine 2 kept on running which is confusing , i guess it depends on which fuel tanks had the ice in them .

The PMDG MD-11 is full of little things like this , everything is simulated ... I think i will switch the anti-ice on next time .

Leemazz
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Re: Engine flameout

Postby AS37 Norm Edwards » 21 Dec 2010 12:59

Yes anti-ice does help, at altitude and icing conditions. The ATR's had a huge problem with this when operating in Scandinavia. Still, adds variety to the flight! :)

AS37 Norm Edwards
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 37

Postby kingsak » 21 Dec 2010 22:05

Good job saving the plane Lee! 8)
Now go change your shorts and relax :P :shock:
kingsak

Postby Leemazz » 22 Dec 2010 18:06

Its still a problem im yet to complete the flight and id had enough , when i left the flight all three engines were out and i had to land at UKSS i think it was and basically change the fuel . I took off again and had just got back up to 33000 ft .

After the first time the engines conked out i restarted them and had anti-ice on , the computer told me no ice was detected but still i left it on and sure enough all three engines bombed on me . Trust me that PMDG MD11 can make you sweat when its about to stall with no engines ..... Its not the best glider .

Im hoping to complete the flight and move on its been a bit of a nightmare to be honest

Leemazz

Postby Leemazz » 23 Dec 2010 21:59

Finally landed at Malpensa LIMC after 14 hours . The emergency landing was made at USRR

Leemazz

Return to vNTSB Incident Reports