FedEx 89 - MD-11 - OMDB-EDFH - Emergency Divert

Learn from others mistakes, above all be safe!

FedEx 89 - MD-11 - OMDB-EDFH - Emergency Divert

Postby choroqstyle » 17 Jun 2009 00:37

FedEx Flight 89 was an AAS flight from Dubai International (OMDB) en route to Frankfurt-Hahn, Germany (EDFH) on Tuesday, 16 Jun 2009. Equipment was a Boeing/McDonnell-Douglas MD-11. While crusing at FL 335, there was a rapid loss in airspeed as the nose of the aircraft banked up sharply. The aircraft began to sink. From local time 10:26 AM to 10:28, the aircraft had lost nearly 4500 feet. Aircraft pulled up once again, climbing back above 30,000 feet before stalling once more, dropping this time near 21,000 ft. Disengaged autopilot and contacted Carsamba (LTFH) tower near the northern coast of Turkey, and back-tracked forty miles with clearance to land on RWY 10.

The aircraft sits at the southern edge of the field, in the grass to the side of the runway.

Situation sounds oddly familiar to the other most recent AirSource incident, no?

Secondly, is there any way my log book can be reflected to show LTFH instead of EDFH as the destination of the flight?
choroqstyle

Re: FedEx 89 - MD-11 - OMDB-EDFH - Emergency Divert

Postby AS37 Norm Edwards » 17 Jun 2009 03:14

Thanks for posting the report. I was thinking that perhaps it might have been an AP problem, but given the distance you had travelled it may have been a fuel management problem. I'm unsure if you are able to transfer fuel in your aircraft but perhaps that may have had something to do with it.

On the second point regarding PIREP arrival location that is different than what was scheduled. There is no provision for this except to mention in the remarks panel to stipulate the different arrival location and brief reason why.

AS37 Norm Edwards
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 37

Postby choroqstyle » 17 Jun 2009 04:22

AS37 Norm Edwards wrote:Thanks for posting the report. I was thinking that perhaps it might have been an AP problem, but given the distance you had travelled it may have been a fuel management problem. I'm unsure if you are able to transfer fuel in your aircraft but perhaps that may have had something to do with it.

On the second point regarding PIREP arrival location that is different than what was scheduled. There is no provision for this except to mention in the remarks panel to stipulate the different arrival location and brief reason why.

Done and done! I left the aircraft where it was so I can try and check it out for myself when I get home from work. Now I just need to find a close-by airport to make a GA hop to so I can get a scheduled flight back to Europe. I think Turkey is one of the places where I have rarely spent any flying time.
choroqstyle

Postby Leemazz » 22 Jun 2009 16:50

If you were using the PMDG MD-11 it will have probably been caused by the LSAS which runs behind the autopilot LSAS controls the stabilizers and can result in a stall to override the LSAS in the MD11 you need to apply 23 pounds of pressure to the yoke the same applies to the PMDG MD11 . The MD11 is a tricky bird to fly as it almost flies itself and overriding the LSAS can result in a sudden nose up or nose down .

Leemazz
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Return to vNTSB Incident Reports