American 909, Crashed off runway in Buenos Aires, Argentia

Learn from others mistakes, above all be safe!

American 909, Crashed off runway in Buenos Aires, Argentia

Postby Guest » 03 Jun 2008 10:27

American Airlines 909, KMIA to SAEZ

Let me tell you about this one. The approach was great with ASCOT into ILS 11. I shouldn't had landed there at all. Visibility was very poor but i'll still take her in on a Duel ILS. Flared and touch right between the thresholds, fine. Spoilers retract as normal. Shifting down the throttles into reverse had no response. Now here comes the PANIC. Speeding still down the RWY with no idea whats going on. so I took a glance on the ASI and LO and Behold the speed was still steady at 165knts.(Approach Speed) MY AUTOTHROTTLE WAS STILL ENGAGE. Did not even think about abort by engaging my RTO, with my luck the configured temps was probaly fifty degrees. I'm cool though, I bailed out overhead literally kicking my second officer for first dibs out the hatch. I'm sorry but I had to make that connecting flight to SUMU. Crashed and burn into tress American 909.

vNTSB: Pilot did not disengage autothrottle before MINNS. PIC did not have is normal coffee on approach. So that indicates PIC did not go through his approuch checklist.

Pilots Error.

Postby AS37 Norm Edwards » 05 Jun 2008 17:52

Thanks for the report. Poor second officer though - will probably sue (but he was also prob not an AS pilot anyhow :) ). Just shows how missing the little things can make big things go wrong! :shock:

AS37 Norm Edwards
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 37

Postby Guest » 08 Jun 2008 08:03

Thanks for the reply Norm. And yes Just one simple thing could stand between life and fatality. just by one switch. It also shows that i need to practice more on failures on board because i should have rotated back up by the instant I noticed no braking was applied.

Postby Leemazz » 08 Jun 2008 08:48

I have done this myself even worse leaving the Autopilot on when landing on ILS and shot across the runway and finished up in the terminal as the plane tryed to turn round and go back to the ILS beacon . So now i normally switch all the throttles off and autopilot at about 900 ft . 900ft is the latest pilots are told to leave the autopilot on .

Leemazz
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby Guest » 08 Jun 2008 09:55

Ok good topic. Now let me ask you all a question. What is the reason and aviation terms in MINNS. "Aproaching Minimums.............Minimums.

Postby AS37 Norm Edwards » 08 Jun 2008 12:41

On approach plates for an airfield there is "usually" a Decision Height figure... ie DH150. If you cannot see the runway at 150ft (in this case), the pilot should go around (and have another go if the tower allows) or prepare to divert to the specified alternate airfield in the flight plan. Minimums, in this case, is 150ft - no visual on the runway, no landing!

Try it out.. set your weather parameters to a visual range (eg include fog) and practice your go around or missed approach procedures.

AS37 Norm Edwards
FAA [Administrator]

Postby Guest » 09 Jun 2008 03:25

Wow, I learned something new. Thanks. I always thought minimums was for a different term. Thanks again.

Postby AS37 Norm Edwards » 09 Jun 2008 13:27

yr welcome. If you want to read more, go to this link.. there is a bit more info there but of course on the www just google it! :)

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forum ... ain/11018/

AS37 Norm Edwards
FAA [Administrator]

Postby Guest » 15 Jun 2008 04:53

Norm, great job on that teaching & Info.
Thank you.

Postby snakey-111 » 04 Sep 2008 21:55

wow thanks for this!!

Always thought "Minimums" meant that was when you turned off the autopilot!!! Usually went off at around 300 feet. Most of the time I handflew from 1000 anyway!!! I did wonder why itstill went off though lol
snakey-111

Return to vNTSB Incident Reports