AIRSOURCE CREW PASSES REVEALED!

Find information about the latest AirSource news and website updates here

AIRSOURCE CREW PASSES REVEALED!

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 29 Feb 2016 01:06

We're proud to announce a new exciting feature for our members! The crew pass is a visual representation of an available flight that members can perform. It is just like a passenger ticket for a flight, but the crew pass is for the crew (you, the pilot!). Crew passes are utilized and function similar to any other traditional area of AirSource where a member searches for then "books" the flight, and performs it then finally makes the PIREP.

Learn more about and view available crew passes here.

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 2] KMCO Orlando, Florida SKYPE:airsourceva
AirSource Pilot Number: 2

Re: AIRSOURCE CREW PASSES REVEALED!

Postby bob3464 » 29 Feb 2016 09:40

Hi..
I'm getting "flight is expired" when trying to start one of my flights.

http://prntscr.com/a9byws
bob3464

Postby AS455 - Don » 29 Feb 2016 13:27

Tom - Tom - Tom
Again you exceed expectations!
Thank You very much for your time and effort, Sir!

AS455 - Don
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 455

Postby JSkorna » 29 Feb 2016 18:18

JSkorna

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby AS201 Joe » 29 Feb 2016 21:37

Uploaded a new version. Should be fixed now.

AS201 Joe
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 201

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 01 Mar 2016 01:55

AS455 - Don wrote:Tom - Tom - Tom
Again you exceed expectations!
Thank You very much for your time and effort, Sir!

Thanks for the thanks Don, and I also want to say thanks to Joe for his programming expertise, if it weren't for him this couldn't be, and the EMT team for their input and support! We hope everyone likes the project. It is just getting started, there are many updates coming down the runway!

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 02 Mar 2016 02:49

Also I wanted to mention that currently the crew passes are not shown on the flight history pages or in your COMPLETED flights log (it currently shows flight data like a traditional PIREP). But I plan on updating this soon.

We just couldn't wait to release these for us all - it's been over a year in the works and even longer in planning!

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Postby AS455 - Don » 03 Mar 2016 16:50

Hey Tom
Could/Would you fill us in on the History of the CP as it relates to AirSource?
I would like to know the back story on how this came about. Who's idea was it? Where did the idea come from, etc?
I am 'all in' brother! This is very cool!
Don

AS455 - Don

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 04 Mar 2016 00:56

Haha glad to hear Don. Thanks for asking, and it might interest some to read how the CP came about, so I'm happy to explain.

Probably 3 or more years ago I started with thinking about introducing digital cards of some kind like playing cards, made some images but was generally unhappy with the "basis" of why we would use "cards".
01_000001.png

Above is one of the original images I created, but was unhappy with

Then one day many months later I thought about tickets, why not tickets?

image001.png

Here is one of the original crew passes from our "old server", generated in ASP.

So I still pushed ahead with presenting the idea to our EMT team - and that is where the bigger think tank started to shape the Crew Passes we see today. I still have the document (because we have many other cool things happening with CP's in the future and need to refer to it when programming!). Instrumental input from Norm, Mark, Roy, Henk, Alan and of course during the programming stages Joe really made things click. We generated samples and named them "Pilot Passes" at the time.

In fact a bit later in production, one the most important suggestions came form Mark, who suggested categorizing them as a "Flight Crew Pass" instead of "Pilot Pass". We all loved the suggested name, shortened it by taking out "Flight", and nothing more need be said 8)

Now they are generated images (some on the "fly" - no pun intended!) all in PHP, and believe me, it took a lot of work but we hope they give some extra lift of both interest in the flights themselves and our members as well!

We're just getting started, I feel this is going to bring out even more creative spirit from our flight managers, and save them some time as well (by not having to create HTML for bid flights, etc.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Postby AS455 - Don » 04 Mar 2016 14:18

Tom
Thank you for the History Class!

And, Thanks to the Team!
" Instrumental input from Norm, Mark, Roy, Henk, Alan and of course during the programming stages Joe really made things click. We generated samples and named them "Pilot Passes" at the time."

Good Stuff Men!
Don

AS455 - Don

Postby Alan Turville » 07 Mar 2016 12:45

I have completed 2 Crew Pass flights and they are still showing in my log book which I know happens. I thought they could only be used once, or am I wrong ?
Reason being is they are still in my AAS and if I start click on the flight it loads in AAS even though the fight is completed.

Regards

Alan Turville
Instrument Rated Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 268

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 08 Mar 2016 00:10

Alan Turville wrote:I have completed 2 Crew Pass flights and they are still showing in my log book which I know happens. I thought they could only be used once, or am I wrong ?
Reason being is they are still in my AAS and if I start click on the flight it loads in AAS even though the fight is completed.

Regards

Hi Alan,

I had a look in your logbook and yes, all three CP's you currently hold have "unlimited" redemptions. You can fly and PIREP using these as many times as you wish (as long as PIREP is before expiration date if applicable). If you hover over the pass, you see the "back" of it - on bottom left area each one shows how many redemptions are allowed. Some only allow 1 or a limited amount, but other allows unlimited. Hope this helps.

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Postby scottcorbitt » 08 Mar 2016 01:21

First off, I just want to express my gratitude towards the team: Tom, Norm, Mark, Roy, Henk, Alan and Joe - I truly appreciate the effort put into creating new excitement for our hobby. It is much appreciated.

Since the release, my flights have solely been from crew passes I've obtained. Some of these passes have limitations and some are unlimitedly redeemable. My first goal was to secure the Air Atlanta "Iron Maiden" flights from EGFF all the way to MMMY. I'm finishing up the last crew pass of the journey that I've yet to complete - but, I'm wondering if I should return these back to the pool or hold onto them?

I don't want to "hog" the available crew passes that others could enjoy, but is there a reason I should hold onto these? I understand more features are to come, but how would the team suggest we treat these in the interim?

Thanks again for all the work. Extremely proud to call Air Source my home.

AS275 Scott Corbitt

scottcorbitt
Student Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 275

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 08 Mar 2016 01:33

scottcorbitt wrote:First off, I just want to express my gratitude towards the team: Tom, Norm, Mark, Roy, Henk, Alan and Joe - I truly appreciate the effort put into creating new excitement for our hobby. It is much appreciated.

Since the release, my flights have solely been from crew passes I've obtained. Some of these passes have limitations and some are unlimitedly redeemable. My first goal was to secure the Air Atlanta "Iron Maiden" flights from EGFF all the way to MMMY. I'm finishing up the last crew pass of the journey that I've yet to complete - but, I'm wondering if I should return these back to the pool or hold onto them?

I don't want to "hog" the available crew passes that others could enjoy, but is there a reason I should hold onto these? I understand more features are to come, but how would the team suggest we treat these in the interim?

Thanks again for all the work. Extremely proud to call Air Source my home.

AS275 Scott Corbitt

Hi Scott - thank you for your kind words and glad you're enjoying the new system.

Keep them if you wish, they are to collect too. No one is hogging them - it just means we hope everyone visits more often to check in and assure they can get CP's before someone else snags them up! You never know what kind of CP is going to show up next..

I had to add four more maiden passes for each flight last week because I initially did not create enough, notice that the value dropped? Not that the value means anything right now.. but I have plans (and those plans may not work out but it's like trying new food, sometimes it sucks - other times it works out really good and you wished you would have tried it a long time ago lol!)

I'd like more reasons to keep them than just trading, we're open to suggestions so either IM me or e-mail me!

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Postby Alan Turville » 08 Mar 2016 05:24

Ah yes I see it now. Thanks for clearing that up. These Crew Passes keep you on you toes :D Brilliant

Alan Turville
Instrument Rated Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 268

Next

Return to AirSource News and Updates