Expanded Search

VP General Aviation Division: Tom Little.
General Discussion about the AirSource General Aviation Flights Division.

Expanded Search

Postby sonjamichelle » 11 Mar 2024 15:53

I've been away for most of 2023, spent most of it ill. I'm coming into 2024 with a few new physical and cognitive deficits, which means my G1000 setup was derailed. I found that I SERIOUSLY needed to simplify my setup. I'm down to one main monitor, a Samsung Curved Ultra-Wide. If I recall correctly, I paid less than $300 USD for it. It provides a very clear image, saves space with its curve, and I can get a decent view on it. I still have the Bravo, my Radio Panel, and 3 FIPs for the standard steam gauges.

Though the monster of a PC I bought back in 2020 with the release of MSFS crapped out on me. Bad mobo design. It'll be a while until I can get a new mobo. In the meantime, we set up my wife's PC, another high-end gaming PC by HP, in my old office turned "game room/den."

It took a while to set everything up, "patiently" waiting for the terabyte or so of data from MSFS and all the add-ons I acquired over the past three years. Even with a 2.5Gbs synchronous Fiber connection, M$ caps most transfers at 200Mb.

I've done a few flights in Hawaii with a couple of GA flights on MyAAS. This morning I was trying to come up with a flight from the home turf in OKC but really couldn't come up with anything. Off the cuff, I looked for airports in Wyoming, saw Yellowstone, and figured that would be an interesting flight. But then it came down to seeing what aircraft were available at the departure point (KOUN). Thats where I hit the snag, having to "restart" the plan just to see what other birds were available kind took all the fun out of it.

So, long story short, it would be nice to see the GA Division have some similar search features as the Scheduled and Crew Pass Divisions. Being able to pick a departure point, seeing what aircraft are currently at the airport, possibly choosing a radius or direction. Then get a list of viable arrival airports.

I know I probably made all that clear as mud, but I do like that I can choose an aircraft in one of the other divisions and then see where I can fly. Or choose a departure and see what is available at that airport and get a list of possible arrivals.

Those search features in those divisions make it really easy to come up with a "random" flight. UNFORTUNATELY, most of the flights found are Airliners, the "Big Iron," not the flights I enjoy. I'm not one to climb up to 40K, hit autopilot, then browse the web for 8 hours. I did that back in the day with ASHA when there really wasn't much to look at on the ground. But with the new photogrammetry of MSFS2020, flying low and slow is absolutely a joy. There are SO many interesting things to see around the world!

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 103

Re: Expanded Search

Postby AS201 Joe » 11 Mar 2024 21:51

Hi Sonja,
Just out of curiosity, have you tried the Random Flight Generator? Sounds like it might help a little. Granted it selects flights by either your current location or a selected county but, it's an option.

AS201 Joe
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 201

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 11 Mar 2024 22:57

Hi Sonja,

Let me check into the code vaults of some of the older pages we used to have, I think there may be a script I could use - I'll need some time to look at that.

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 2] KMCO Orlando, Florida SKYPE:airsourceva
AirSource Pilot Number: 2

Postby sonjamichelle » 12 Mar 2024 04:27

AS201 Joe wrote:Hi Sonja,
Just out of curiosity, have you tried the Random Flight Generator? Sounds like it might help a little. Granted it selects flights by either your current location or a selected county but, it's an option.

I was aware of the Random Flight Generator, but I didn't realize it produced GA fliihts as well. It's been some time since I used that tool IIRC.

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 103

Return to General Aviation Division