Hello from Australia

Are you a new pilot? Do you have a question? Or just want to chat? This is where you want to post...

Hello from Australia

Postby DanielW » 15 Oct 2012 04:11

Hi Guys,

Just joined yesterday and looking forward to doing some flights from your schedules. A very BIG choice of flights I'm glad to see, even some of our Aussie regionals which is great.

The reasons I chose airsource are because of this huge choice, and also the fact that I've seen a few long standing members and a history. For a VA and it's members to be around that long means they must be doing something right :) Also glad to see some Vatsim members on here, I just started flying Vatsim recently and it's a "game changer", for me anyway it adds alot to the experience I don't know how I went without it.

I'm trying flights from your normal scheduled division first, and maybe once I get used to how everything works I hope to try the bids and events later.

Cheers
DanielW

Re: Hello from Australia

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 15 Oct 2012 10:57

Welcome aboard Daniel! Happy you found us :D

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 2] KMCO Orlando, Florida SKYPE:airsourceva
AirSource Pilot Number: 2

Postby AS380 Mark Richards » 15 Oct 2012 13:51

Hi Daniel and welcome to both another Australian and another VATSIM user.

Welcome to AirSource and if you have any questions about either AirSource or VATSIM, give me a shout.

Mark

AS380 Mark Richards
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 380] Auckland, New Zealand [NZAA]
AirSource Pilot Number: 380

Postby JSkorna » 15 Oct 2012 23:04

Welcome Daniel!!

JSkorna
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby milo221 » 17 Oct 2012 16:20

Welcome Aboard!

See you in the skies!

-Dave

milo221
Private Pilot

Postby ITZREAL » 18 Oct 2012 10:05

Welcome Daniel! I reside in the US but I love to fly anywhere in Australia. It has so many choices for good places to fly to and from. Hope you find and enjoy some good flights within our Scheduled Division. The choices are vast and varied. Welcome aboard, and please don't hesitate to ask any question you may have. Happy flying!
ITZREAL
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby DanielW » 19 Oct 2012 10:42

Thanks for the welcome guys. I do have a couple of questions, I was reading about the bid flights and they look interesting but some questions I have:

1. Instructions are to submit the PIREP through the link, can we also submit the PIREP through MyAAS for convenience or are bid flights alway manually submitted because some are multi-leg and special type of flights?
2. It says add $5 to the base pay which I think means we get the base+5 (of course) but if flying with MyAAS on though do we get the MyAAS rate+5 or still only Base+5 for bid flights?
3. What does it mean to actually bid? Is bidding essentially the same as the "Add to Plan" for scheduled flights but with the risk of penalty and a timeout?
4. What does it mean to have several bids available, e.g there can be 3 bids left does that mean 3 pilots can bid and all fly the route? Or only one? E.g. ferry flights is that simulating 3 aircraft for delivery with 3 bids?

many thanks
DanielW

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 19 Oct 2012 10:57

Thanks for the welcome guys. I do have a couple of questions, I was reading about the bid flights and they look interesting but some questions I have:

1. Instructions are to submit the PIREP through the link, can we also submit the PIREP through MyAAS for convenience or are bid flights alway manually submitted because some are multi-leg and special type of flights? Yes you may submit pireps (for all flight types) via MyAAS abd it is actually the preferred method.

2. It says add $5 to the base pay which I think means we get the base+5 (of course) but if flying with MyAAS on though do we get the MyAAS rate+5 or still only Base+5 for bid flights? MyAAS bid flights will earn you your base pay (depending on rank) +25/hr.

3. What does it mean to actually bid? Is bidding essentially the same as the "Add to Plan" for scheduled flights but with the risk of penalty and a timeout? Yes, but the bid flights expire wheras the scheduled flights generally do not. And yes there is a penalty for expired bid flights.

4. What does it mean to have several bids available, e.g there can be 3 bids left does that mean 3 pilots can bid and all fly the route? Or only one? E.g. ferry flights is that simulating 3 aircraft for delivery with 3 bids? Each bid flight should only be bid on once per pilot.

many thanks

Hope this helps!

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Postby DanielW » 19 Oct 2012 11:11

Thanks Tom that helps alot.

On #4 each bid is once per pilot I understand, but what does it mean 3 bids remaining next to the flight? Does that mean 3 different pilots can do the flight?
DanielW

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 19 Oct 2012 11:32

DanielW wrote:Thanks Tom that helps alot.

On #4 each bid is once per pilot I understand, but what does it mean 3 bids remaining next to the flight? Does that mean 3 different pilots can do the flight?

Yes.

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Postby DanielW » 19 Oct 2012 11:36

Thanks. I'm off to help FlyDubai out with one of their 737s
DanielW

Postby AS380 Mark Richards » 19 Oct 2012 12:46

And Daniel, MyAAS allows you to save the flight between each leg.

I'm a regular doing long haul delivery flights, generally from the Boeing factories in Seattle. Each leg you get to save in MyAAS and when you submit them, MyAAS cleverly strings them all together and adds them as one PIREP.

You must remember to fly and file the PIREP before the expiry but the expiry is generally set for several weeks out when the BID is first posted, just be careful if it's been there a while as it is easy to get caught.

Mark

AS380 Mark Richards
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 380] Auckland, New Zealand [NZAA]
AirSource Pilot Number: 380

Postby DanielW » 19 Oct 2012 13:51

Hi Mark,

That's really cool, so if I understand correctly for the multi legs we just fly like single legs parking brake on etc and then after the final leg we submit the Pirep and it knows to include them all as one big entry
DanielW

Postby AS201 Joe » 19 Oct 2012 16:41

Welcome Daniel.

If you use myAASV2, you have to save each stop as a refueling stop. Then at the end you do an end flight and it works them all into one flight. Not sure how myAASV1 does it.

Joe

AS201 Joe
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 201

Postby premdask » 10 Apr 2013 12:29

Welcome Daniel. I also am a new starter at Air Source !! Love the options and the magnitude of the schedules available. I am also another recruit from Australia :D

See you in the friendly skies mate !
premdask

Return to New Pilot Discussions