Next AirSource Event - your input needed!!

VP Special Events: Mark Richards. General Discussion about the AirSource Special Events Division.

Re: Next AirSource Event - your input needed!!

Postby rabhaw » 11 Sep 2009 20:49

The image is cut off, here is the link.

http://www.flightsim.com/feature/mercury1/3.jpg
rabhaw

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 11 Sep 2009 23:19

rabhaw wrote:Image

The image is cut off, here is the link.

http://www.flightsim.com/feature/mercury1/3.jpg

Wow - now that is some vintage schedule there! Looks more like a train schedule than an air one :shock:

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 2] KMCO Orlando, Florida SKYPE:airsourceva
AirSource Pilot Number: 2

Postby vic365 » 12 Sep 2009 20:41

If you REALLY wanted to fly this:
Douglas DC-3
Radio Range navigation capabilities, or
Civil Airways (1940).

Note that the Civil Airways were divided into 4 routes: Amber, Blue, Red and Green. They used the Radio Range beacons (as shown in the first map, below) and were flown by sound. Once the beacon was tuned you received auditory Morse Code sounds which you used to guide yourself. There were 3 sounds telling you you were either; 1. directly on the beacon, 2. to the right, 3. or to the left. The MAAM-SIM DC-3 has an addon (from the guys at DCA) which adds all the beacons (as NDB's) to FS9 and modifies the MAAM-SIM radio to use them. I believe they also have a mod for the default FS9 DC-3, for all the freeware fans.

You could, without the RR mod, just fly the routes on the second map, below but remember...no VOR's!! NDB's only...now THAT is "As real as it gets"!

Radio Range document:
http://users.frii.com/strider/us_radio_range_map_1940_print.doc

All 1940's Civil Airways map:

This is one thing about the new forum that I dislike....you don't seem to be able to post a full image??

Vic

vic365
Multi Engine Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby rabhaw » 12 Sep 2009 21:41

Yeah but we didn't find out the image size did we?

Anyway I see your poinst and it sounds good to me.

BTW, my image was a rip from the Argosy articles on flight sim.

I had/have the MAAM sim somewhere from FS2002, never bothered when I went to FS9.
Might be a good time to learm NDB navigation, difficult for a FMC virtual pilot But r66 visual all the way was a lot of fun. This could be a step up, all weather sort of thing.

Woah, in Firefox right click on the image and choose view bingo full size.
rabhaw

Postby rabhaw » 12 Sep 2009 21:51

Looked at the doc.
Cool, Newark to Miami,

clenched buttocks, Washington, clenched buttocks, Richmond, clenched buttocks, Raleigh, clenched buttocks, Charleston, clenched buttocks, Jacksonville, clenched buttocks, Melborne, clenched buttocks, iami, whew, relax buttocks, have a beer :D
rabhaw

Postby kdjat » 08 Feb 2010 06:53

Hi All

Couple of ideas!

Ring of Fire - basically fly around the Pacific Rim, say start in New Zealand, onto Pacific Islands, PNG, Philippines, Japan, Kamchatka, Aleutians, Alaska, US West Coast, thru Central America, down thru Andes to bottom of South America.

Rockies/Andes Jaunt - Start up in Canada, follow Rockies south into Mexico, then down thru Central America, and continue on down the Andes to the bottom. Could also split it, just do Rockies, or just do Andes. Would be interesting in a small aircraft having to negotiate peaks, valleys, weather. :shock:

Just a couple I thought might be worth a shot! :)

Regards

Kym Burton

kdjat
Student Pilot

Postby as136roy » 23 Oct 2010 14:46

AS129 - Michael wrote:I think island hopping in the Pacific could a fun and viable option as well. We need to make sure there are enough airstrips we can fly into along a planned route though.

The island hopping flights around the Pacific sounds good to me. Flight duration then should not be that long. AS pilots should have a choice of possible aircrafts that they can use. :wink:

as136roy
Private Pilot

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 136] (OMDB) Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Postby robertz » 14 Jun 2011 10:51

kdjat wrote:Hi All

Couple of ideas!

Ring of Fire - basically fly around the Pacific Rim, say start in New Zealand, onto Pacific Islands, PNG, Philippines, Japan, Kamchatka, Aleutians, Alaska, US West Coast, thru Central America, down thru Andes to bottom of South America.

Hope I can fly on those places....
robertz

Postby Leemazz » 14 Jun 2011 19:33

Heres my idea , called Pilots of the Carribean (see what i did there) . Island hoping around the Carribean aircraft would be General Aviation no heavies this time

Leemazz
Control Tower [Moderator]

Postby iang77 » 15 Jun 2011 21:34

Sounds interesting! I must admit, I've been itching for another Event to monopolize my time ever since completing the 10th Anniversary / Wonders of the World event. :lol:

iang77
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby AS380 Mark Richards » 02 Jul 2011 01:51

Leemazz wrote:Heres my idea , called Pilots of the Carribean (see what i did there) . Island hoping around the Carribean aircraft would be General Aviation no heavies this time

Love the idea Lee and never thought I would hear you suggest something not in a heavy (DC10, MD11)...

And I like the ring of fire idea especially given how active the ring of fire has been of late... did one of these a few years back and enjoyed it immensely.

AS380 Mark Richards
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 380] Auckland, New Zealand [NZAA]
AirSource Pilot Number: 380

Postby kingsak » 03 Jul 2011 12:12

Leemazz wrote:Heres my idea , called Pilots of the Carribean (see what i did there) . Island hoping around the Carribean aircraft would be General Aviation no heavies this time

I like this idea. Maybe NDB nav. too.
The idea for the Pacific rim is also appealing.
Any date set yet?
kingsak

Postby Leemazz » 03 Jul 2011 14:00

Interesting . I will look into this more but have some things on at the minute so it might be a week or two .

Leemazz
Control Tower [Moderator]

Postby AS37 Norm Edwards » 04 Jul 2011 12:08

I like all the ideas put forward... being the event junkie that i've been known to be! That aside, perhaps doing all of them and scheduling them over the remainder of this year/early next year!

AS37 Norm Edwards
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 37

Postby kingsak » 04 Jul 2011 14:35

AS37 Norm Edwards wrote:I like all the ideas put forward... being the event junkie that i've been known to be! That aside, perhaps doing all of them and scheduling them over the remainder of this year/early next year!

Now this is definately THE BEST idea I've seen so far!
Excellent Idea 8)
kingsak

PreviousNext

Return to Special Events - Crew Pass