Flightkiosk Issue

VP Scheduled Division: Alan Black. General Discussion about the AirSource Scheduled Flights Division.

Flightkiosk Issue

Postby Alan Black AS122 » 01 Mar 2015 18:43

Just wanted to let you guys know about an issue I just bumped in to trying to add a flight. I was trying to add ASQ5356 (ATL-PHF) and it seems like it put me in to a loop without actually adding the flight.

When I first entered it, it came back with

You entered following data for flight search: Airline: ASQ Flight Number: 5356

This flight has multiple segments. Choose which segment you would like below:
DL 5356 from (ATL) Atlanta to (PHF) Newport News
DL 5356 from (PHF) Newport News to (ATL) Atlanta
There is a limit of 10 FlightKiosk lookups per day. You have looked up 7 flights in the last 24 hours, and your lookup count will reset on 2 Mar 2015 18:26 UTC.

So then I selected the first option, and it came back with (note it is also incrementing my # of lookups):

You entered following data for flight search: Airline: DL Flight Number: 5356

NOTE! This is a Codeshare flight, the correct flight data follows

This flight has multiple segments. Choose which segment you would like below:
DL 5356 from (ATL) Atlanta to (PHF) Newport News
DL 5356 from (PHF) Newport News to (ATL) Atlanta
There is a limit of 10 FlightKiosk lookups per day. You have looked up 8 flights in the last 24 hours, and your lookup count will reset on 2 Mar 2015 18:26 UTC.

if I then click on the first option to select ATL-PHF, it gives me the same screen again (incrementing my count again), but doesn't add anything to the schedule or my plan book.

I'm going to move on and just do a different flight, but thought you guys might want the details to take a look at it.

Thanks...

Alan Black AS122
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Re: Flightkiosk Issue

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 02 Mar 2015 02:40

Thanks for the report Alan. I need to look into this one.

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 2] KMCO Orlando, Florida SKYPE:airsourceva
AirSource Pilot Number: 2

Postby Alan Black AS122 » 07 Mar 2015 17:20

FYI, just went through the same thing on SKW6323 (LAX-SAN). Seems like anytime there is a multi-segment Codeshare flight it gets sent in to a loop.

Hopefully this helps a little.

Alan Black AS122
FAA [Administrator]

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 09 Mar 2015 11:21

Alan - try some of these type of flights now. I fear changing one thing may have broken another though, so keep me posted :)

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Postby Alan Black AS122 » 10 Mar 2015 20:57

Looks like it is working now. It counts each stage as a lookup, so it cost me 2 lookups to get it done, but I don't see myself flying more than 5 flights/day, so that doesn't bother me.

Thanks for taking care of this.

Alan

Alan Black AS122
FAA [Administrator]

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 10 Mar 2015 23:54

Thanks for the feedback Alan. Let us know if you see any other strange behavior. You're a big part of making FK better!

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Postby Alan Black AS122 » 12 Mar 2015 03:31

Was the thing you thought might have been broken the ability to enter flights using the 3 character ICAO code?

I tried 3 airlines today and none of them worked. The first two I just assumed the airline might not be in the DB (QLK, TGW), but when I tried QFA and it didn't work, I changed it to QF and it went through no problems.

I know the page says to use the 2 digit if possible, but I was using it if I didn't know the 2 digit off the top of my head vs looking it up.

Thanks again,

Alan

Alan Black AS122
FAA [Administrator]

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 12 Mar 2015 10:54

Alan,

Nothing was changed as far as the airline codes go. In fact, I was surprised since the beginning that the 3 letter ever worked. This depeneds on the data source itself and has no connection to our database. It seems the popular airlines do work; so for example I tried DAL and DL, both work. AAL and AA work as well. Not sure if the airlines you tried ever worked before for the 3 letter, but if they did it is an adjustment that was made beyond our control.

Now, I could put a conversion attempt in the code so that if a member enters a 3 letter code it can be "translated" to the 2 letter code before processing, however I thought that this process would introduce more confusion for flight managers attempting to fix/approve flights that didn't go through initially, so left it out.

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Postby Alan Black AS122 » 13 Mar 2015 03:30

Understanding the intended functionality vs the accidental bonuses helps me. ;-) I have to admit, I was really surprised last week when I typed an entire flight number (3 char code, plus 4 digit flight) into the Airline field and it worked fine.

No worries on this, I'll just make a point of digging up the 2 digit codes for these in the future. I just need to see if I can track down a good list of codes since I plan which flight I'm going to fly next using Flightaware and they only use 3 char codes.

Alan Black AS122
FAA [Administrator]

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 13 Mar 2015 11:18

At some point I intend on expanding the functionality to include 3-character airline codes such as how they are listed on FlightAware, but for now we're limited to 2 and the occasional popular 3 :D

In fact, part of the reason why some of the approved charter airline flights aren't being recognized is because the airline codes they use are only 3 char.

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Return to Scheduled Flights Division