Long haul flight

General Discussions on anything! If you feel like chatting... hey post here!

Long haul flight

Postby AS267 Rob » 20 Mar 2019 07:14

I am I the process of flying Canadian 035 Vancourver to Brisbane Australia which normally takes around 14 1/2 to 15 hours against the jetstream.
Due to strong head winds I have had to divert to Noumea for extra fuel, same as real life, that's how I fly my sim.
Once completed the flight will be around 18 to 19 hours.

What I wish to ask is how do I Pirep this flight when the flight duration scale does not go to this figure.

I did send an email regarding these super long haul flights which can be 17 hours plus and the present limit on the duration scale but know reply was ever received.

Thanks
Rob
AS267 Rob

Re: Long haul flight

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 20 Mar 2019 10:56

Hello Rob,

Yah the hours maximum was a bit antiquated, flights these days can last a lot longer than 15 hours. Changed to 19 max for now (NON-MyAAS Flight PIREP), hope that helps.

Also, per the AirSource Employee Manual be sure to include comments about the stop-over in PIREP.

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 2] KMCO Orlando, Florida SKYPE:airsourceva
AirSource Pilot Number: 2

Postby AS267 Rob » 20 Mar 2019 12:00

Thanks Tom,
That does help at this stage and with this flight.

Qantas presently fly a non stop Perth to London and Dallas To Sydney which are 17+ hours. They are also in preparation of Sydney to London non stop in the coming future so our leg times may have to increased once again as I would estimate around 21 hours for this flight.

The return leg London to Sydney is definitely doable with the upcoming 777 and 787-10 and was flown some years back as a test flight with the 747-400.

Cheers
Rob
AS267 Rob

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 20 Mar 2019 13:13

AS267 Rob wrote:Thanks Tom,
That does help at this stage and with this flight.

Qantas presently fly a non stop Perth to London and Dallas To Sydney which are 17+ hours. They are also in preparation of Sydney to London non stop in the coming future so our leg times may have to increased once again as I would estimate around 21 hours for this flight.

The return leg London to Sydney is definitely doable with the upcoming 777 and 787-10 and was flown some years back as a test flight with the 747-400.

Cheers
Rob

Ok, sounds good. Curious though, why wouldn't you use myAAS to track flight time? There are no real restrictions on the length of flights (as long as flight is "valid" i.e. not circling airport or set on infinite autopilot to nowhere) 8)

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Postby AS267 Rob » 20 Mar 2019 13:56

The othe VA that I fly with is Bluegrass Airlines, they don't have it so never really thought about it.

Being an old bloke guess I am set in my ways, will have to read up about it and see how it all works.

Cheers
Rob
AS267 Rob

Postby Thumper_KJFK AS.381 » 11 Apr 2019 15:11

AS267 Rob:

Hi Rob, I was just reading your questions and concerns about mYaas client. There is really no work on your part to just download it to your rig. Go grab a flight in our schedules area and once your al set up on the flight deck. open mYaas client and start it. Fly your butt off, land, and file the pirep. How easy is that. just a few clicks. And mYaas does have a Stop over for refueling option. I have not used that yet but I expect it is also very simple to use.
I fly long haul all the time. We used to have this one flight that was 18.75 hours, but sadly it's no longer in our schedules. I make that trip you have tried , many times in one leg. My flight takes me up around FL420 and once I am settled in I reduce my Mach so not to burn much fuel while in a strong head wind. It does work very well. The return trip is fly like a bat out of hell making an early arivle at the gate by 2 hours. :)
Good luck and keep em shiny side up.

Thumper_KJFK AS.381
Private Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 381

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 12 Apr 2019 10:42

Thumper_KJFK AS.381 wrote:AS267 Rob:
I fly long haul all the time. We used to have this one flight that was 18.75 hours, but sadly it's no longer in our schedules.

Hello Gregory,

Is there a real world flight that is 18.75 hours? If so you can become a flight officer and enter your own real world flights to fly, not sure if you knew about this or not - read more here viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7679

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Postby Thumper_KJFK AS.381 » 12 Apr 2019 15:26

Hi Tom:
Yes indeed for a long time we had a Singapore airline flight before there was a real world schedule for it. I have flown on it from my home in NYC 4 times on business real world WSSS KEWR. it is gone. 9,500 miles aprox.19hours Flights 21 and 22 it is a killer of a flight for me, I am 6'3" tall. As much as I love to fly this was and is Not fun. :) LOL..Yeh it is :)

Thumper_KJFK AS.381
Private Pilot

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 12 Apr 2019 23:53

Thumper_KJFK AS.381 wrote:Hi Tom:
Yes indeed for a long time we had a Singapore airline flight before there was a real world schedule for it. I have flown on it from my home in NYC 4 times on business real world WSSS KEWR. it is gone. 9,500 miles aprox.19hours Flights 21 and 22 it is a killer of a flight for me, I am 6'3" tall. As much as I love to fly this was and is Not fun. :) LOL..Yeh it is :)

It's back :D

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Postby Thumper_KJFK AS.381 » 13 Apr 2019 05:07

Thank you tom. I just got home from work. And was planing to do that Flight Officer Information and Study Guide thing. I really have to get back to reading all the way cool stuff you staff come up with. Pfft. I should have been retired 8 years ago. Crap, What I thought would be a slam dunk to just stay home and fly, and do LAN party's for the rest of my life. That not going to happen anytime soon. I'm back in the work thing, and only getting in two days a week to fly. OH totally for got. I have a HELLO for you from the one pilot who brought me over to Air-Source 19 years ago-Samuel Gomez Recuero. (aka) Samrec from up in Quebec, Canada. I been trying to get him to get back into the flight simulator. He always asking how you and the crew are doing, I keep forgetting to post it. as I was totally green behind the wings, back then. Thank you and everyone of the members who put up with my questions about everything. Now I am the one who gives the answers and have stuck with this hobby to the point of craziness. according to my better half, who still things I am a nut job.

Gregory Spivey aka Thumper_KJFK AS.381

Thumper_KJFK AS.381
Private Pilot

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 13 Apr 2019 11:35

Thumper_KJFK AS.381 wrote:Thank you tom. I just got home from work. And was planing to do that Flight Officer Information and Study Guide thing. I really have to get back to reading all the way cool stuff you staff come up with. Pfft. I should have been retired 8 years ago. Crap, What I thought would be a slam dunk to just stay home and fly, and do LAN party's for the rest of my life. That not going to happen anytime soon. I'm back in the work thing, and only getting in two days a week to fly. OH totally for got. I have a HELLO for you from the one pilot who brought me over to Air-Source 19 years ago-Samuel Gomez Recuero. (aka) Samrec from up in Quebec, Canada. I been trying to get him to get back into the flight simulator. He always asking how you and the crew are doing, I keep forgetting to post it. as I was totally green behind the wings, back then. Thank you and everyone of the members who put up with my questions about everything. Now I am the one who gives the answers and have stuck with this hobby to the point of craziness. according to my better half, who still things I am a nut job.

Gregory Spivey aka Thumper_KJFK AS.381

Huh! Well it's our hobby and keeps us outta trouble, right!? Yah.. right :lol: 19 years, OMG I cannot believe it has been that long - after pinching myself to assure it's real - it is. Would be great to have Samuel back flying, but I suppose it's one of those things that may take time to get back into. Always welcome to come back anytime, of course!

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Postby Alan Black AS122 » 14 Apr 2019 22:42

Tom, thanks for getting that back in for me. I saw this right before I went out of town for the weekend and didn't get a chance to look in to what flight it might have been. Of course, as it happens, I came across an article on the 10 longest flights currently scheduled, so over the next couple of days, I'm going to make sure all 10 of them are here. I know that #1 is, because EWR-SIN was it ;-)

Also, thanks to Greg for pointing it out.

Alan

Alan Black AS122
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Return to General Discussions