Long Flights?

General Discussions on anything! If you feel like chatting... hey post here!

Long Flights?

Postby HoratioWondersocks » 05 Sep 2016 11:50

Hello All
Can long flights (or any flights for that matter)be flown in stages.
I particularly like the PA 380, but for obvious reasons there are few sub thousand mile flights for this aircraft.
If I could fly longer (2,3,4000 mile )flights ,but complete them over a few days ,it would actually open up a new area of interest for me .I really can't spend six hours plus in front of my PC in one sitting on one flight.
I don't want to leave the PC running all night (another option I know ) either.
I want to involved in all parts or legs 'live'

Cheers to all
Andy

HoratioWondersocks
Instrument Rated Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Re: Long Flights?

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 06 Sep 2016 10:50

Hello Andy,

I hope I'm understanding your question right, but you may "stop" myAAS any time and continue your flight later. There is no reason you would need to always fly the whole flight "live" without disconnecting or taking a rest.

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 2] KMCO Orlando, Florida SKYPE:airsourceva
AirSource Pilot Number: 2

Postby HoratioWondersocks » 06 Sep 2016 15:34

AS 2 Tom Little wrote:Hello Andy,

I hope I'm understanding your question right, but you may "stop" myAAS any time and continue your flight later. There is no reason you would need to always fly the whole flight "live" without disconnecting or taking a rest.

Hello Tom

Apologies for vagueness of my original post.
But you have answered my query .
I CAN fly long flights in stages.
Now of to crew passes to see what is available.
Cheers
Andy

HoratioWondersocks
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby Alan Black AS122 » 07 Sep 2016 22:37

I do this all the time. I like to fly live as well, so sometimes it will take me a couple of days to even do a 1-2 hour flight. One day after work, I'll set things up, take off and get to cruise. Then one day after work will be the decent and landing. Depending on the length of the flight is how many days I spend at cruise. :0

For me, since I have a dedicated FS machine (as I think alot of us do), I don't bother shutting things down or saving the flight in MyAAS. I just pause the flight, MyAAS pauses it's timekeeping, then everything resumes when I unpause... no bothers at all.

Alan Black AS122
FAA [Administrator]

Postby HoratioWondersocks » 08 Sep 2016 15:59

Alan Black AS122 wrote:I do this all the time. I like to fly live as well, so sometimes it will take me a couple of days to even do a 1-2 hour flight. One day after work, I'll set things up, take off and get to cruise. Then one day after work will be the decent and landing. Depending on the length of the flight is how many days I spend at cruise. :0

For me, since I have a dedicated FS machine (as I think alot of us do), I don't bother shutting things down or saving the flight in MyAAS. I just pause the flight, MyAAS pauses it's timekeeping, then everything resumes when I unpause... no bothers at all.

Thanks Alan
Nice to here from you.
Iam currently into day three of of my flight from WMKK to EGLL.
And although I do prefer to shut my pc down (energy use ,old(ish) hippy type , environment concerns etc)
So far no problems re-starting pc and re-loading saved flight (imaginatively labeled 'Massive long flight')
I also use Pete Dowson's extremely useful 'Autosave' program as well ,so just in case something goes wrong in the re-recording of 'Massive long flight' ,I have that back up as well.
I am enjoying this new aspect of flying.
It opens up masses of new routes ,in some of my favourite aircraft.
If I fail to lower my landing gear at Heathrow on completion I will eat my joystick :mrgreen:

Cheers
Andy

HoratioWondersocks
Instrument Rated Pilot

Return to General Discussions