Strong Head Winds

General Discussions on anything! If you feel like chatting... hey post here!

Strong Head Winds

Postby SCKing » 09 Mar 2015 13:30

Looking for advise, tips. Over time I have noticed that west bound North American flights are brutal considering strong head winds. To date, I have tried to increase TAS/GS at the expense of econo flight levels and fuel consumption. I've been routinely encountering winds from 105 to 155 at FLT levels from 320/380. This of course often results in longer than projected flight times. I am currently once again headed west (LAX) and have requested and received approval to descend from fl340 to fl300. This has given me reductions in head winds of 108 to 76. It increased my TAS/GS from 466/368 to 473/404. I of course do not want to look at fuel consumption and assume dispatch won't be happy with those numbers (fuel flow 3.84). I am pushing the engines at .82, N1 91.4, which I'm not crazy about but trying to optimize speed vs. fuel for on time arrival.

Are the other operational ways to contend with head winds? I am using REX weather (real time updates), and most often the PMDG 737NXG. Besides what I've listed above, any suggestions?

Having checked winds aloft, for my route, it's apparent fl300 is the best alt for this flight (balance between AS and fuel consumption). Not crazy about fuel consumption but worth the added AS and time in route. I am now seeing very favorable AS on a HDG of 242 at fl300, TAS 490, GS 497. I'll assme it comes down to watching winds aloft and experimenting for best results. If I am overlooking anything (like how to fudge on fuel consumption reporting)....let me know....
SCKing

Re: Strong Head Winds

Postby guigui » 09 Mar 2015 14:46

SCKing wrote:Are the other operational ways to contend with head winds?

You can take a look to real life flight paths on FlightAware before take off. http://fr.flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL1439/history/20150309/1000Z/KEWR/KLAX

AS291 - Guillaume

guigui
Private Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 291

Postby SCKing » 09 Mar 2015 15:49

Thanks! Good idea. I will. Last time I did I saw routes from 32-360, then in FSX and Rex, faced with brutal head winds. I assume there's significant variance between FSX/REX weather modeling and real world routes and winds. I have been finding I have to experiment adjusting FLT levels for best performance. I've listened in on actual (UAL) flights to pilots requesting various fl levels and talkng among themselves exchanging wind and turb info. I'll track FlightAware more closely. Thanks!
SCKing

Postby Leemazz » 09 Mar 2015 21:43

I have noticed it too on long hauls from Europe to America , i normally push the cost index up .

PMDG MD-11 will fly happily along with a Cost index of 150 at around .83,9 Mach , I pretty much follow Martinair Cargos MD-11 operations and that is what they fly at , if you want realism look at the way airlines cope with the same issues , not sure about the 737 and what spec it can operate at

Or change your flightplan route

Leemazz
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby SCKing » 09 Mar 2015 22:08

Thanks, sounds logical. I'll give that a try too.
SCKing

Return to General Discussions