Disasters and Airsource.

General Discussions on anything! If you feel like chatting... hey post here!

Disasters and Airsource.

Postby HoratioWondersocks » 11 Nov 2013 12:43

Hello All
I was just wondering if any other Airsource members feel as I do, that is a little uncomfortable at the use of disasters as a source of flights?
I like to fly the A380 but for obvious reasons shorter range flights are fairly few and far between. l did find one yesterday WSSS-RPLL, but that was in the humanitarian section, and linked to the horrific and now hellish(post typhoon situation) in the Philippines.
Personally I feel I cannot enjoy sim fllying on the back of these very real and terrible events.
Anyway! Please no rage its just my own feelings on this, and not an attack on Airsource as a whole.

Cheers Andy

HoratioWondersocks
Instrument Rated Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Re: Disasters and Airsource.

Postby Leemazz » 11 Nov 2013 20:15

Andy I agree with you I have said the same thing myself its just a personal opinion and I don't have a problem with other pilots choice I just feel a bit awkward operating those type of flights .

Maybe we are just looking at it wrong

Leemazz
Control Tower [Moderator]

Postby HoratioWondersocks » 13 Nov 2013 17:17

Thanks for your reply Lee. I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way. As you say its up to the individual to choose, but I personally will continue to give these flights a miss, after all there is certainly no shortage of alternatives.
Glad I didn't get my head chewed though. :D

Cheers HW

HoratioWondersocks
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby Leemazz » 13 Nov 2013 19:51

:lol: yeah I kind of keep it to myself I understand the effort that goes into adding the flights so I have respect for that just personal preference

Leemazz

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 14 Nov 2013 03:31

I have always felt that AirSource has been about "choice", and offering plenty of them with no additional concern for stress. We have enough stress in the "real world". So yes, fly 'em or not, it's up to each member individually.

And these flights have always been about contributing something, even if only a virtual flight, to the cause. I've had some members send thank you e-mails because they simply could do nothing but watch the terrible news stories on television, but making the flight and taking the time made them feel as though there was something they contributed, even if just a virtual flight. A prayer can also mean so much to the person making it - but in no way am I comparing the two; just the point that's all (the thought that makes us feel good).

There's nothing stopping any of us to contributing to the real world cause by donating money, and no need for us to add links to red cross in the flight description, or link to donation websites as the general population know how to use google and it's their choice to do that if they want. Even though I have thought about that in the past, somehow linking our flight time to actually making a real donation to the cause...but I don't think that is our aim here.

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 2] KMCO Orlando, Florida SKYPE:airsourceva
AirSource Pilot Number: 2

Postby Leemazz » 14 Nov 2013 20:27

I totally agree Tom , I thinks a key part of airsource and some people enjoy that side of airsource and others choose not to I hope it continues and one day we see ASHA back in the air . I did a lot of the repaints for ASHA

Leemazz

Return to General Discussions