Longer Flight Aircrafts

General Discussions on anything! If you feel like chatting... hey post here!

Longer Flight Aircrafts

Postby jaredg » 30 Jul 2012 03:29

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the website and flight simulating in general. So far, I have to say I love the fact of now "flying with a purpose" rather than the lame free flight that means nothing. Anyway, I would like to know of an aircraft capable of making the extremely long flights. Something over 10,000 nm. Does anyone know of an aircraft and website I can download an aircraft capable of making a flight this long?

The stock Boeing 747-400 has a maximum distance I believe of 7,800nm or so.

Yes, I understand it's a simulator and the best/only option might be to make a stop! But, if I could get some input that would be helpful!

Thanks!
jaredg

Re: Longer Flight Aircrafts

Postby kingsak » 31 Jul 2012 03:54

As you said, fuel stops would most likely be required.
I'm not an expert.
Another alternitive - shunned by me, and most simmers - is to click your
settings to where your fuel don't burn.
NOT at all realistic, and I have doubt's that a PIREP like that would be approved-
I wouldn't approve it!
You said your new, take your time and learn to do it the way that is most enjoyable
and comfortable for you.
A little advice, the more realistic = the more fun!
Good luck & Safe flights

B767-300ERF
B747-416
B787-8
A380-800
Just a couple clues :o but don't forget to check your rwy. clearance length or you'll be in the grass!
BTW- Welcome Aboard!
kingsak

Postby AS380 Mark Richards » 31 Jul 2012 12:36

HI Jared and welcome to AirSource.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-stop_flight shows a number of current and past Non-Stop flight routes.

As you can see, dominating the field are:

• Airbus A340-500
  • Boeing 777-200LR
  • Boeing 777-300ER
  • A340-600
  • B747-400ER

As Steve rightly points out, there's not too many that will travel 10,000nm or more.

Recently, Virgin Australia's newest A330-200 (VH-XFE) flew NON STOP from Toulouse, France to Melbourne, Australia on delivery. It took her 20 hours and 36 minutes and covered 17,879 km (9,653 nautical miles). But this had a flight crew of three, a couple of guests and a cabin crew of 2, no freight so was as light as anything and had a predominantly tail wind all the way.

Mark

AS380 Mark Richards
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 380] Auckland, New Zealand [NZAA]
AirSource Pilot Number: 380

Postby jaredg » 31 Jul 2012 13:45

Thank you for the replies, guys. From my observation and doing more research, for flight simulator, there is no way around making an inbetween stop between long destinations. Even with those aircraft, you're looking at around 8-9,000km at the MOST nonstop via flight simulator. However, as mentioned, it would be possible to turn on unlimited fuel (although that greatly decreases the 'real' factor). I am currently planning a trip around the world (sort of) and my longest flight is 8 hours 30 minutes, roughly 4,000km which is easily achievable by the stock Boeing 747-400.

While I am on the topic, is there a requirement to use the company-specific aircraft while flying? Or is it just a matter of flying something that is a real-life possibility?

Thanks for the help, hope to hear from you soon.
jaredg

Postby AS380 Mark Richards » 31 Jul 2012 14:29

So long as its from the same category of aircraft, you can fly it. I.e. if its a four engined heavy, you can fly a B747 or an A340 but not a 777. If it's a 777 route, you could fly a 767, 757, A330 but not a 737 or A320.

The different categories are listed on the aircraft page.
http://www.air-source.us/Operations/Air ... rcraft.asp

Hope it makes sense.

It's all explained in the Operations Manual.

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD.

AS380 Mark Richards
FAA [Administrator]

Postby AS380 Mark Richards » 31 Jul 2012 14:32

Woops, not a 757 that's a DEJL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD.

AS380 Mark Richards
FAA [Administrator]

Postby jaredg » 31 Jul 2012 14:48

Thanks for the reply Mark. Problem with me is, when downloading aircraft in the past, I eventually encounter problems. For example, I downloaded a few aircraft and they were working fine, and all of a sudden I go to fly and my camera view won't show the cockpit, I can't pull up my radio, gps, etc. So I've stayed clear of downloading anymore aircraft, hoping I could get by with the defaults but going by that list and flying in that manner, I would not be able to follow all flights according to that list by merely using default aircraft. What do you think I should do?

I have SP2 installed. I noticed when adding aircraft with only SP1 most aircraft would not load onto FSX. After installing SP2 I got the majority of the aircraft to load, but eventually ran into the problem mentioned above.
jaredg

Return to General Discussions