End of my multi HDD FS9 experiment.

General Discussions on anything! If you feel like chatting... hey post here!

End of my multi HDD FS9 experiment.

Postby vic365 » 01 Nov 2010 01:51

I am going to have to call off this experiment for the lack of one tool...a duplicate texture file finder which understands FS9. Flightsim Manager used to handle this function flawlessly...when everything FS was on one drive. Seperating my addon scenery to another HDD has thrown FSM for a loop and it can no longer find texture dupes...dupes which are there, in several folders.

Duplicate textures, on my system, are an almost guaranteed system lockup, at some point.

I've tried 12 different duplicate file finding softwares...but they do not understand how FS9 works. They find every "lm" version of a texture as a dupe to the daylight version...sigh!

I do not understand why FSM won't work now...it supposedly uses my Scenery.cfg for this , and other functions? But, I'm over it. Until scenery developers learn that many of us have many textures already installed (RNW12, EZscenery, etc.) in the standard folder (Static Objects Library) and they stop including them, automatically, in their sceneries, I cannot continue this multi HDD installation experiment. That, or I need to find a tool which will find these duplicates, over several HDD's, and understands FS9 textures (LOL!, I'm not holding my breath!).

The other thing I've done is to buy an Xbox 360. Turn it on, throw in a game disc...PLAY. Simple as that. No tweaking, no crashes, no "CTD's" no nothing but perfect operation. After 16 years of MSFS...I might finally be reaching the point where I'm "over it". It's becoming more work and aggravation than fun...by far.

vic365
Multi Engine Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Re: End of my multi HDD FS9 experiment.

Postby Leemazz » 01 Nov 2010 17:14

Vic this is part of the fun searching for the perfect sim experience . Im not sure but do you get a massive variety of addons both freeware and payware with your xbox . I always have a tweak at things and install new stuff and then get a CTD or a 10 minute pause (which drives me mad) . Its all good .

Leemazz
Control Tower [Moderator]

Postby Leemazz » 01 Nov 2010 17:16

Vic having seperate scenery folders on a different HD is a no no , on a different partition is ok . You will notice the difference

Leemazz

Postby vic365 » 01 Nov 2010 21:41

Leemazz wrote:Vic having seperate scenery folders on a different HD is a no no , on a different partition is ok . You will notice the difference

That's the first time I've ever heard that, Lee. Everything else I've heard was that it would work fine because the Scenery.cfg will contain the location of addon scenery folders...no matter where they are? That's probably simplistic but the explanation I've seen a lot of. I'm having a hard time seeing how a seperate partition would help...in that situation you are still only using one set of "heads" on a single drive, rather than 2 sets on 2 drives. I would have thought that having 2 HDD's would split the workload between them, thus speeding up the entire data access process? But, I'm no computer expert...don't even play one on TV. :P

Vic

vic365
Multi Engine Pilot

Postby Leemazz » 01 Nov 2010 22:08

It reads from the HD that the flightsim is installed on so then it has to go drag it from another HD which adds to load times , try it with photoreal ground textures .

I have some photoreal on one hd and then the airport on the main hd and it takes the ground detail longer to load . Its posted in the Flightsim tips and tricks forum on Avsim it also says not to partition the hard drive for some reason , even though i use two hds and a partition .

There are so many tweaks and tips around , i wonder how many actually work there some good ones for the fsx.cfg which i use .

I had that RWY12 scenery installed for a while but it caused problems with textures on bridges and other stuff so i got rid i generally only use payware now apart from the likes of TBPB for FSX , i dont trust alot of the freeware sceneries , i once had a freeware aircraft installed with an installer and when i run the uninstaller it completely uninstalled my aircraft folder all my aircraft vanished in FS9 .

I only fly to airports i have addons for i hate the default airport textures .

I run FSX on Vista full of addons and i have never had to re-install i get the odd blip now and then but to say my FSX is about 150 gig with 3000+ folders it runs well , i defrag alot and run ccleaner alot along with AFX afcad program to check for duplicate afcads i dont bother with duplicate textures as they are in seperate folders .

I only have three aircraft installed Captainsim 757 and 767 and the PMDG MD11 as it slows down loading . I do fly alot so i try to keep things clean if not my computer gets grumpy and throws the toys out of the pram . Sorry im starting to ramble :roll:

Leemazz

Postby Leemazz » 06 Nov 2010 10:46

Well i think i set myself up for this its called karma . I installed the latest Net framework updates and its destroyed my FSX the activation has vanished and it wont re-activate with a restore or anything so i guess its a full re-install ... Oh dear

Leemazz

Postby vic365 » 06 Nov 2010 18:23

:evil: Karma sucks. Is that a bumper sticker?? :lol:

Good luck, Lee.

vic365
Multi Engine Pilot

Postby Leemazz » 06 Nov 2010 19:00

I cant believe it everything went well backed up my cfg files and managed to keep all the addons in the correct folders so all i had to do was add them in the scenery manager . Had some problems with FsDreamteams stuff like their addon manager but everything seems ok .... So far

Leemazz

Postby vic365 » 07 Nov 2010 05:45

Every once in awhile a plan comes together :wink:

vic365
Multi Engine Pilot

Return to General Discussions