Going Through the Change

General Discussions on anything! If you feel like chatting... hey post here!

Going Through the Change

Postby neilcook_as174 » 14 Feb 2010 00:31

A quick look at the Airsource site yesterday revealed to me that I had not clicked on or visited the site for 12 months and four days. Such was my disenchantment with flightsimming and what I perceived the FS community was providing me with back in February 2009. Since that time the real world has been it's usual disinterested, unbiased, uncaring self. My wife was diagnosed with early stage breast cancer, had surgery, suffered the privations of chemotherapy and now radiotherapy, but statistically, they say she's in the 85% category of probability for long term survival. No, "yes we got it" and a hearty thumbs-up, just a statistical percentile.

Yeh, life's been a real bummer, but things are looking up. At least I think they are. After losing a motherboard in August and an operating system in September, all traces of my previous FS incarnation have been swept away. FS9 is now only a 1.9Gb ISO file in the nether regions of my Filetran folder. But now I also have an 8.5Gb DAA file folder sitting in Filetran, which contains FSX. It was installed yesterday and you know what? I missed being able to book a bid flight, pack up my flight bag and get 'airside'. It's a strange feeling, especially considering that when I resigned from the BFD I was mightily cheesed with the community in general.

I think I've gone through a change. A change of heart and mind. I realise that it's as, or possibly more important, to be a part of a community as it is to be a leader of it. I notice Mark Richards has my old role, and I wish him every success with it. He'll need it. I'm going to enjoy just being an Airsource Virtual Pilot Union member again, getting my hours up, trying to recover some horrendous losses in my AirShares portfolio and just having some fun again. It's good to be back.

neilcook_as174
Instrument Rated Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Re: Going Through the Change

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 14 Feb 2010 00:46

Welcome "back" Neil, it's GREAT having you! Although members such as you were really never "gone" because of all the things you have done to help AS become what it is today. Glad to hear things are looking "up"!

Enjoy!

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 2] KMCO Orlando, Florida SKYPE:airsourceva
AirSource Pilot Number: 2

Postby Leemazz » 14 Feb 2010 01:42

Glad to hear from you Neil . I too like to enjoy the simming side of things and try not to get too involved in things . I guess i have a good mix of flight manager and CDO , oh and how could i forget my painting . I will be looking for you on the flightmap ... I think i have only seen you on there a few times .

Leemazz
Control Tower [Moderator]

Postby AS380 Mark Richards » 14 Feb 2010 04:52

Thanks Neil, yes it is quite a challenge and there are many days I wish I was "just" a pilot but alas that doesn't seem to be part of my make up.

I've been watching your wife's updates via your FB statuses and very pleased that you have both got the upper hand on this horrid disease. Fingers are crossed for your both.

Great to have you back flying again!

AS380 Mark Richards
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 380] Auckland, New Zealand [NZAA]
AirSource Pilot Number: 380

Postby Buckeye Roy » 14 Feb 2010 17:40

Glad to hear the good news, my thoughts and prayers have always been with you and your wife the last year.
I'm also so glad your getting back in the game. Remember, the Schedule Division can always use more Flight Managers. Tom gave us a great tool last year which let's us batch load the flight schedules and makes our lives simpler. We also started paying our Flight Managers, so it might be a way to recoup some of the losses you took in the Virtual Stock Market.

Take care.

Buckeye Roy
Commercial Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 17

Postby AS37 Norm Edwards » 14 Feb 2010 18:49

Mate, good to see you peeking into the forums (quadzillions of posts huh?) :) Always welcome in here Neil make yourself comfy, put up the feet, FS in hand, therapeutic! Haven't been much on facebook, don't find much time to get in there.

For those who do not know, Neil has been a long-time supporter of AS and spent many a year as VP Bid Division, so much of the foundation has come from his leadership in the past..... kudos Neil! :)

AS37 Norm Edwards
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 37

Postby AS283 Roger Dean » 15 Feb 2010 14:33

neilcook_as174 wrote:... and just having some fun again.

Welcome back Neil. Fun, that is what it is supposed to be all about. :D

We'll see you in the friendly AirSource skies... 8)
AS283 Roger Dean

Postby TheDude71 » 15 Feb 2010 18:11

Welcome back!!

I have two family members fighting this disease. I understand, and my thoughts and prayers go out to your wife and you.

TheDude71

Postby guigui » 15 Feb 2010 23:20

Welcome back Neil. Good to see you with us.

Best regards.

AS 291 - Guillaume

guigui
Private Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 291

Postby John Iverson » 17 Mar 2010 03:23

A hearty Welcome back!

Yes.... Life is difficult. It seems it waxes and wanes... some good times and some very hard times.....
I had someone in the "4% for two year survival" range... and she absolutely thrived for well over 5 yrs... before old age got her. So numbers can't be trusted, everyone is unique.

I'm sure all of us have someone in a serious situation.

I like to think of the people at Air-Source as an extended family. Although I know not.... a single person here, I feel like everyone has fun. That's all I want out of life.. just a little fun.

All the good thoughts your way,
John Iverson
AS-248
John Iverson
AS-248
John Iverson
Student Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 248

Postby as176andre » 27 Mar 2010 07:57

Neil,

Welcome back and I really whish you and your Family all the best, hope everything turns out for the better, and Yes it seems that we all have this same love for Aviation and just cannot get away from it.

Keep all the positive in your your life and in the end it will change for the better.

as176andre
Control Tower [Moderator]

Return to General Discussions