NOTICE OF WEB SERVER MIGRATION

General Discussions on anything! If you feel like chatting... hey post here!

NOTICE OF WEB SERVER MIGRATION

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 09 Jun 2009 11:38

Our server host has offered us a move onto our very own server. This is due to some problems we have been encountering lately, and I am 99% certain it is not anything on our website causing the problem. Normally on a server everyone "shares" the servers and if one of those websites is behaving badly it can ruin the experience for the rest of the residents there. That's where we are today, and we will "have our own house and lot" very soon.

This means I will be shutting down PIREPS, forums, basically anything whereby we can update a database until the move is complete.

Thank you for your patience and soon we should have a better running server AND if it is something on our site causing the problem we will be able to sort it much faster this way.

For those of you who just have to fly every day (that's why we're here!) I would bulk up on your downloaded flights into myAAS and start flying that way. The "freeze" will be coming soon.

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 2] KMCO Orlando, Florida SKYPE:airsourceva
AirSource Pilot Number: 2

Postby iang77 » 09 Jun 2009 13:41

Sounds like a great idea, Tom. Any idea of when this may happen, or how long the process may take?

iang77
Instrument Rated Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby Merlin » 09 Jun 2009 15:38

I agree it would be nice to "have our own house and lot." Just give a little warning so we can stock up on flights
Merlin

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 09 Jun 2009 21:48

Start "stocking up" now. I have asked that bid division bids be extended, but be careful for the asha flights you are commiting to. Commit to further out if possible.

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Postby AS283 Roger Dean » 10 Jun 2009 22:10

iang77 wrote:Sounds like a great idea, Tom. Any idea of when this may happen, or how long the process may take?

Getting our own server is definately a move in the right direction. 8)

As Ian mentioned, any idea when this will occur and approximately how long the DB, forums, etc will be frozen.

P.S. Of course I'm a couple hours into a long haul transatlantic flight and just noticed this thread. LOL, such is life. :lol:
AS283 Roger Dean

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 10 Jun 2009 23:14

A mass e-mail has been sent to all AirSource members. Check your e-mail for more information.

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 11 Jun 2009 10:51

Here is the exact letter sent out to all member e-mail addresses:

Greetings,

This letter is to serve notice that AirSource is moving to a new web server SOON. The process will involve us shutting down all updating processes. This includes new hires, news, forums, PIREPS and/or any other method that uses database actions. Be sure to "stock up" on your bid, ASHA and Scheduled flights so you can fly using myAAS until the website is operational again. We plan on shutting down on Friday 12 June approximately 20:00 GMT, and the site should hopefully be moved by late in the day Sunday 14 June 2009. However the new IP address needs to propagate all over the web, so you may not see the "new" server operating for an additional 72 hours. Plus although I hope to not have too many bugs to iron out, I know there are likely going to be issues so things may be down for a week or more depending on how it all goes. This move is good for us because we are moving to a server that gives us our own application pool. No more sharing with other websites, which HOPEFULLY means no more strange downtime (or at least now I can trace an error if it IS our website causing problems). This has also been announced in our forums

Thank You,
Tom Little, Founder
AirSource Virtual Pilot Union

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Postby AS283 Roger Dean » 11 Jun 2009 12:55

Thank you Tom and I hope the move goes smooth and painless.
AS283 Roger Dean

Postby AS129 - Michael » 11 Jun 2009 21:51

Stocking up on some flights now so I can stay busy and rack up some hours!

AS129 - Michael
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 129

Postby choroqstyle » 12 Jun 2009 08:39

Better get pre-booking. Africa isn't the place I want to be stuck doing VFR. :P
choroqstyle

Postby kingsak » 12 Jun 2009 17:56

I haven't been getting ANYTHING from AirSource in my email! :cry:

I would like to know when this is gonna happen, and for HOW LONG will everything be "down"?

Maybe i'll just take a break and wait til all is completed because I just happen to be located at my home arpt. of KSRQ-Sarasota.
:?: :?: :?:
BTW; How can we "stock up" when you can only book 5 flts. w/ ASHA and only 4 flts. w/ bid div's. :?: :?:
kingsak

Postby meeberg » 12 Jun 2009 18:56

Steve
About the details of this migration: look a few replies back in this Forum-item and you find all!

meeberg
Instrument Rated Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 123

Postby Anthony Fluhart AS167 » 12 Jun 2009 19:53

kingsak wrote:I haven't been getting ANYTHING from AirSource in my email! :cry:

I would like to know when this is gonna happen, and for HOW LONG will everything be "down"?

Maybe i'll just take a break and wait til all is completed because I just happen to be located at my home arpt. of KSRQ-Sarasota.
:?: :?: :?:
BTW; How can we "stock up" when you can only book 5 flts. w/ ASHA and only 4 flts. w/ bid div's. :?: :?:

You can also save schedule division flights in MyAAS as well if I remember correctly.

Anthony Fluhart AS167
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby JSkorna » 12 Jun 2009 20:35

Steve,

Book some longer flights and you'll be OK for the weekend! Yes, Scheduled Division flights can be booked and downloaded as well with no limits.

JSkorna
Control Tower [Moderator]

Re: NOTICE OF WEB SERVER MIGRATION

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 14 Jun 2009 20:11

We'll now see if running on Windows Server 2003 is any better than where the host had us before (I guess we were on the "old servers in the back room before?"

Anyhow I wanted to post here to update that the whole move is complete, all files uploaded now and the new DNS are propogating throughout the internet. Those who can read this message are updated and ready to go.

Have fun!

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Next

Return to General Discussions