Invalid Flight Data Again!

General Discussions on anything! If you feel like chatting... hey post here!

Invalid Flight Data Again!

Postby ITZREAL » 21 May 2009 08:11

I have had two flights removed in the last 2 days because of 'Invalid Flight Data'. I have searched the forum to find any relevant posts. There have been I think 3 or 4. Each one was given an answer of 'duplicate entries'. It seems that the system detects duplicate entries and deletes one as an error. The only thing 'duplicate' about these flights for me is that I have flown them before. Same airport, same arrival, even the same flight times. (If you fly the same short flight over and over using similar weather settings you are bound to have a flight with the exact same takeoff and landing time). The difference is that the two flights deleted had unique ASHA Flight #'s. I searched my flight database and neither Flight # has ever been used. I keep an extensive flight log database on an Excel spreadsheet of every flight I have ever flown. Airports, Aircraft, Weather, Flight Times, Mission, and a whole range of other info. I even keep a written record of what I entered on my PIREP based on the notes I take during the flight. I also only fly using Active AirSource (AAS). My flights were flown.

If my flights were deleted because of an error I made then I can live with that. Just tell me what the error was so I can learn from it. It the flights were deleted because the system 'thinks' that they were entered before then I have a problem with that. I fly the same flight over many times just to get the hours needed for the Operation ribbon. It's only two flights that have a combined total of around 2 hrs so the amount of time lost is not an issue. The issue is what caused it. I have any and all data needed to show what I flew, when I flew it, and where I flew it to if needed.

Thanks for any assistance.

One additional note, only my AirSource logbook with my flight log and pay log have been adjusted. My ribbon progress log under ASHA statistics have not. It still shows credit for those two flights.
ITZREAL

Postby AS380 Mark Richards » 21 May 2009 10:55

Sometimes, for reasons known only to the software, two flights are actually logged, instead of one. I always check my logbook after filing a flight in AAS to check if there are more than one.

The system is smart enough to check for duplicate entries. It looks specifically at the AAS logon time, flight departure time, landing time and filing time, as well as fuel and comments. Where they are identical, it simply deletes one of those logs from your logbook (and virtual pay) as it knows that you can't fly two flights exactly the same.

If your contention is that this is not what is happening and that the system is deleting an older flight, let us know so we can look into it.

As for for the ASHA Ribbons, that's one I will need to check with Tom about.

AS380 Mark Richards
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 380] Auckland, New Zealand [NZAA]
AirSource Pilot Number: 380

Postby ITZREAL » 21 May 2009 11:07

My contention is that these two flights are not duplicates but actual flights flown. I have data to show as such.
ITZREAL

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 21 May 2009 11:21

Remember, the system was set up to be as fair as possible and since this is the first case (that has been brought up) within 4+ years of this system running I would say that we have most areas covered. There are of course rare cases like this where we have valid "what looks like" duplicate data. But I cannot bring the flights back unfortunately. However there is seemingly a glitch with the ribbon system I will need to look into that, but you can keep the credit for them since it appears you have valid reason (please let me know if this is the case!)
Last edited by AS 2 Tom Little on 21 May 2009 23:04, edited 1 time in total.

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 2] KMCO Orlando, Florida SKYPE:airsourceva
AirSource Pilot Number: 2

Postby ITZREAL » 21 May 2009 11:39

Thanks for the reply. In the future I will simply change the flight # on the MSFS aircraft screen. As far as the flights lost, I can live with that but you have taught me how to avoid this rare example of what can happen with our program. I will delete those flights from my personal flight log but keep the credit under my Operational ribbon log. Thank you for the reply.
ITZREAL

Postby JSkorna » 21 May 2009 22:59

Another suggestion:

Don't book the same flight twice at the same time. I know that in the ASHA Division you can do this, but it throws the system off, because the system cannot differentiate between the two bookings.

JSkorna
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Re: Invalid Flight Data Again!

Postby ROGERP » 16 Jun 2009 05:11

Tom
Thanks for your reply.
Now I understand what "duplication" means in computer speak!
I am a simple pilot.
At last an explanation for this phenoma,
ITZREAL's initial post is similar to what I have been experiencing especially when I have been accelerating towards completion of ribbon qualification criteria. Flights tend to replicate over the period of any OPERATION.
Also I note that his comment ref ribbon times not being affected is also my experience.
The suggestion that to avoid any possible future conflict is to try not to fly replicate flights within 5 days and not to have replicate flights booked at the same time is noted.
Of course ASHA flights by their nature are much more prone to be subject of "Duplication".
I am an ASHA pilot and I hope now to continue flying ASHA with no further problems.
Thanks for your forebearance and understanding.
Got to go fly.
Best regards
Roger
ROGERP
Instrument Rated Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Re: Invalid Flight Data Again!

Postby ITZREAL » 17 Jun 2009 07:50

Hi Roger! I'm glad to hear that someone else has seen this happen. I too have learned from this as it applies to how I book flights similar to each other in a short time frame. I think we both have shown a passion for flying as much as possible in a short period of time to earn our Operation ribbons. By the way, I am a fan of watching you move up the ranks in terms of flights flown, and now attention towards ribbon progress. You have been one busy flyer the last couple of months! I always seem to see your name on the ASHA flight log for recent flights. Keep it flying!
ITZREAL

Return to General Discussions