Home Built Cockpit

General Discussions on anything! If you feel like chatting... hey post here!

Home Built Cockpit

Postby rich1963 » 19 Mar 2009 08:32

Hello Everyone,

I'm Bored with sitting infront of 1 screen and a joystick. I've decided its time to expand. I'm gonna take on the challenge of building a 737 cockpit.

Now in the last 48 hrs I've read hundreds of pages on the subject. And my conclusion is the prices out there are OUT OF CONTROL! For example: I was looking at an overhead panel from a well known company. Over $1450 JUST for the panels. Then another $780 for the hardware. Then another $540 for the software to make it all work. And thats just for the larger half of the overhead. If I was to go that route my wife would castrate me! Then toss me to the curb. I thought with a 4-5 k budget I'd have an awesome pit. Well I was sadly mistaken.

But I'm NOT gonna let that stop me. I've worked in the construction & automotive industries all my life. I'm very creative and handy with tools. So I'm gonna build it from scratch. I might spring for a THQ. There are a couple VERY nice ones out there. I also found a site called "Open Cockpits" that has the cheapest prices on radios, MCP and the like.

As for the panels I'm gonna attempt to construct them myself. I wanna make them backlit. So that's gonna add to the challenge.

I have found sites on panel construction, rudder pedals, yokes, mcp's and even one showing how to make a FMC using an old PS1 LCD.

Now does anyone have any info that may be useful on this project?
I was thinking of going with the FSXpand Glass cockpit software over Magenta because of the price. Anyone use it? As for the Overhead it looks like the Magenta PM-Systems is the way to go. But it expensive. Any alternatives?

As for the Panels. I read a couple sites that used white Plexi then laminated it with a design printed on paper with an inljet. I'm just wondering if there might be a better way.

I'm only in the planning stages now so I could use all the input you might have.

I need to find quality electronics cheap. I have a RadioShack right around the corner. But I'm not sure I trust the quality of their electronics.

I also need as much information as I can get on how everything interfaces with my system and FS.

I've been looking for a challenge and I think I've found it!

Thanks for any help you may offer!

Rich Benoist
AS398
rich1963

Postby as176andre » 20 Mar 2009 19:14

GoFlight.com,

I have a nice set up and they have various options, not too expensive, and they are all modular so you can build it bit by bit.

as176andre
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby rich1963 » 20 Mar 2009 19:43

I'll check it out. Thank You. So far I'm leaning torwards Opencockpits.com. I like what Ive seen so far. Most cards can be bought as kits. (Which I like) They have a nice set of panels too.

This weekend I'm gonna make a couple panels and see how the different ways of creating them turns out. I may just end up putting out the money for Panels though. We'll see.

I'm gonna check out GoFlight.com now and see what they have.

Thanks Again Andre,

Rich Benoist
AS398
rich1963

Return to General Discussions