FS9 and FSX

General Discussions on anything! If you feel like chatting... hey post here!

FS9 and FSX

Postby TheDude71 » 14 Mar 2009 02:29

I will try and be breif. I installed FSX on the same drive as FS9 and it did something really strange. I think it messes with the reg. Not sure, but when I would start FS9 I would get the accept license page and fs would start. But FSReal time would not reconize fs9. So instead of trying to go back to a restore point,which is what I should of done, I just uninstalled both and spent the next 6 hours reinstalling FS9. Everything is good again. I have 3 questions:
1: has anyone had this happen and why?
2: Would it be safe to just install FSX on my second HD and keep the two sims on seperate drives.
3:my computer specs are: AMD 9950,4gb DDR2 RAM, ATI 4750 X2 750w PSU and ASUS 790FX MOBO. I have a liquid cooled system so I can OC to 3.1 and not over heat. My Q is will I see a reasonable improvement if I went to 8gb of RAM. I think my mobo can handle DDR3 but I need to check on that. Oh my os is vista 64bit.

I want to put FSX back in but don't want to repeat the same issue.

What do you guys think??

Thanks
TheDude71

Postby JSkorna » 14 Mar 2009 04:38

Hi,

Some users had this happen.

Due to registry entries being modified.

One drive or 2, it really doesn't matter.

No, there will be no performance increase going from 4 to 8GB.

If this happens again, just use the registry repair tool from Flight1.

Thanks,

JSkorna
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby TheDude71 » 14 Mar 2009 13:56

Thanks Jim.

Talked to my brother and he had this happen too. Wish I had remembered about the Flight1 reg. repair. Got it now. Defraging with DiskMagik, nice little tool, better than vista's defrag. Got the Flight1 reg. repair tool, and gonna try this again.

I pretty much knew that 8gb of RAM would be overkill, just wanted to hear it from someone else.

Thanks Again.
TheDude71

Return to General Discussions