Question about high level flight.

General Discussions on anything! If you feel like chatting... hey post here!

Question about high level flight.

Postby bigrobmjca AS350 » 31 Jan 2009 00:58

So I plan to fly the Cargo World Tour. I'm currently in Seattle, Washington and need to get to Miami, Florida. I'm thinking of doing a personal division flight. I've seen some of you doing upwards of 550 knots, and once saw one of you doing 600 in a 747. Can someone help me get to Miami as fast as possible. I know that you are actually faster when you fly higher. Just a little confused here. Thanks,

Robert
bigrobmjca AS350

Postby Lochnivar-AS430 » 31 Jan 2009 02:13

The secret to getting that much speed is the Jet stream.

Following the Jet stream will give you a huge boost. Do some research and find out where it's going and plan your route accordingly. Unfortunately the JS doesn't come all the way down to Florida (Very often) but you might be able to catch it to say Memphis or Atlanta.
Lochnivar-AS430

Postby Buckeye Roy » 31 Jan 2009 02:57

If you want to get to Miami quick, try the Cessna Citation X. It will cruise at FL510 @ Mach .90 so it should get you there in no time. Remember, only GA type aircraft are allowed for Personal Division flights. No commercial aircraft.

Here's a link for a freeware model available on AVSIM:

Cessna Citation X

Buckeye Roy
Commercial Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 17

Postby Soundair » 31 Jan 2009 05:52

My suggestion would be the piper cub 85 kn groundspeed 1000 feet agl fly through the valleys and over the passes should take about 50 Hrs or so slow but scinic. after 20 years pushing heavy iron to me its the only way to go :lol:

Soundair
Student Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Return to General Discussions