Not good!

General Discussions on anything! If you feel like chatting... hey post here!

Not good!

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 23 Jan 2009 01:22

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 2] KMCO Orlando, Florida SKYPE:airsourceva
AirSource Pilot Number: 2

Postby MidniteRider » 23 Jan 2009 01:47

Well I do..... Everything I touch turns to *%$#. Maybe if I loved taxes as much as I love flight sim, they would cut them too!!!!!!!! :cry:

This may cause riots and worldwide uproar!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x

Or just a bunch of us FS geeks to just lock ourselves in our parents basement and hold our breath until our faces turn blue.

(I am 44 years old, father of 3 and grandfather of 1 and my parents don't even have a basement) :roll:
MidniteRider

Postby JSkorna » 23 Jan 2009 02:56

Not sure. Guess I'll know more if the TS2 beta never materializes first. Or if one of the ACES members blogs. I'll need to visit some of their blogs over the weekend.

Edit:

Phil Taylor has posted that the whole ACES Team has been let go, so the report is true. No TS2, FSNext, or ESP for now.

JSkorna
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby AS455 - Don » 23 Jan 2009 17:29

Brilliant - cut R&D (dumb a__)!
I'm with Kerry. 'Be afraid - be very very afraid!'

AS455 - Don

AirSource Pilot Number: 455

Postby Lochnivar-AS430 » 23 Jan 2009 17:52

This sucks.

If you've been reading the VATSIM forums, the sky is falling and the end has come.

Please.

This is a huge set back, but let's not start the panic quite yet. Even after 4-5 years FS2004 is still a huge percentage (maybe the majority) of the simulators we see flying the virtual skies.

The main drawback keeping people from using FSX or X-plane is the lack of add ons.

I think this is about to change. In order for companies like Wilco or PMDG to survive they've gotta make a change to adapt.

Heck they're still making products for FS2004.

Let's give it 4-5 years before we start the doomsaying. Somebody else will come and fill the void should MS quit making the FS product.

Prayers and hope to the employees and their families for what has to be a difficult time. And many many thanks for the years of enjoyment.

If somebody arrainged a petition, I'd sign it in a heartbeat.

Michael
Lochnivar-AS430

Postby MidniteRider » 23 Jan 2009 18:03

Michael has the "cool" head here. He makes a valid point. This could strengthen FS9. If the FSX addons drop off because of this, we may see people revert back to 9. I personally fly both. But this could change the future of FSX not to mention the dreaded FSNEXT!

I feel sorry for the families of these employees. I have been unemployed more than once, and not sure how close I am to being that way again.
MidniteRider

Postby Ken Bolish » 23 Jan 2009 21:43

I personally could fly flight sim X for the next 10 years. I am more worried about losing my job now. Here in the U.S, Unemployment hasn't been this bad in 15 or 20 years. I'm sure the rest of the world will soon follow.

Ken Bolish

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 21] KBLM Belmar/Farmingdale, New Jersey

Postby Soundair » 24 Jan 2009 00:32

:? on a flight in a DC-10 someware over Georgia on of the engins had a falure and had to be shut down the Pilot gets on the intercome and states "We have had to shut down the middle engine due to a malfunction consequintly there will be a 30 min delay in arrival in Atlanta, heck if the other 2 Engines give out we could be up here all night. :lol: Ther will always be sombody that will carry on with Flightsim in one form or the other. perhaps this will give us a chance to catch up with vid cards and cpu,s.

Soundair
Student Pilot

Postby Leemazz » 24 Jan 2009 01:06

Ken the problems are the same here in the UK i can live with FSX for a few years . Its pretty bad though when a company like Microsoft are laying off staff , lets hope we all keep our jobs .

Leemazz

Postby neilcook_as174 » 25 Jan 2009 00:11

Yes indeed, Ken. Times are just as tenuous here in Oz. As to what MS does or doesn't do with future releases of FS, I'll be sticking with FS9. When you spend real money on optioning your system to suit a particular simulator, there has to be extraordinarily good reasons to move to a more expensive platform, in my view.

neilcook_as174
Instrument Rated Pilot

Return to General Discussions