How to move an airport?

General Discussions on anything! If you feel like chatting... hey post here!

How to move an airport?

Postby ITZREAL » 14 May 2008 10:47

Does anyone know how to move an airport from FS09 to FSX? Not a whole scenery file but just a airport?
ITZREAL

Postby sonjamichelle » 14 May 2008 16:57

You'll probably have to decomplile a BGL file, edit an XML file, then compile it back into a BGL. Not easy.

Check here for the SDK's

http://www.fsinsider.com/developers/Pages/default.aspx

Also check out AVSIM, tools like AFCAD will make that chore much easier.

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 103

Postby JSkorna » 15 May 2008 01:12

What airport is in FS9, but not in FSX?

JSkorna
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby ITZREAL » 15 May 2008 07:39

ETSM (Memmingen Airport) in Germany. It is not in FSX. There are some flights in the ASHA division training wing using the Beechcraft 1900C (990146C) that I would like to fly. I am using FSX only now. I have even searched the internet trying to find any scenery add-ons that may have the airport but no luck. I have been told that ETSM may have been changed to EDJA. A search of that gives me info on the same airport city, just different code for the ICAO. Is it the same? If so, can I fly the flight using the new ICAO? I think that ETSM may be closed. It is a military base. EDJA is a civilian airport. I just want to fly the flights listed for that aircraft on the flight roster for ASHA. The actual airport that I use is not as important. If I use EDJA as the airport I want to make sure I am following the rules and get credit for the flight.
ITZREAL

Postby AS275 » 15 May 2008 10:05

There are many airports in FSX where the ICAO has changed and this is one of them. It is, as you suggested, EDJA.

Information source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Se ... ngen&go=Go

The easiest way to check (for me anyway) is to go to Wikipedia and enter, using this airport as an example, icao memmingen (or iata memmingen AirSource accepts both ICAO and IATA codes)
AS275

Postby JSkorna » 15 May 2008 23:48

Fly to the corresponding airport and just make a note of this in your PIREP! You will be OK. Right now most things are based on the FS9 database.

JSkorna
Control Tower [Moderator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 0

Postby ITZREAL » 16 May 2008 07:08

Thanks for the help. That answers my question great.
ITZREAL

Return to General Discussions