Finally after 15 years!

General Discussions on anything! If you feel like chatting... hey post here!

Finally after 15 years!

Postby sonjamichelle » 23 Dec 2017 08:05

My flight controls came in today!

I got the Saitek PRO control package from MyPilotStore.com. All the controls were competitively priced and came in decent bundle packages for even more savings. Ordering was painless and shipping was quick.

In the package was a Saitek/Logitech Flight Yoke with Throttle Quadrant, Switch Panel, Avionics/Radios Panel, Auto Pilot/Trim/Flaps panel, Two Flight Instrument LCD Panels and the Saitek/Logitech Pro Rudders. After unboxing and mounting them to the Wheel Stand I decided to get another Throttle Quadrant for Twin Engines and at least one more FIP LCD. I'll get another FIP LCD later on down the road in order to make my "Instrument T"

Mounting took a few minutes. All the screws were provided and any extra mounting hardware came with the Wheel Stand. The process took about 15 to 20 minutes and I briefly needed one other person's help to hold the three panels while I inserted the screws. Documentation in the box was pretty much non-existent. Thankfully there's the website that had drivers and FAQs. The one thing that I did find is that I needed a USB hub one with at least 8 to 10 ports. And a POWERED one at that. I tried using a small unpowered hub at first but got no response out of Windows or the instruments. Once I hooked up an old powered hub I had around things worked out.

Another issue I had was with the Autopilot Panel. Apparently there is an issue with it and Windows 10. I did a search on the web and found a registry hack that disabled advanced power management for the panel. This was preventing the LED from turning on all the time. Once the registry hack was applied I had no further issues with it. Well, at least with FS-X and P3Dv4. X-Plane was a bit glitchy with that particular panel. The numbers weren't scrolling as I turned the nub. It almost looked like a clock with a dead battery. Maybe another Win10 issue.

Flying was a breeze. After 15 years in PC FlightSim I actually had a blast and an easy time configuring my flight. No having to remember key mappings or mousing over to the radio dials.

All of it is mounted on the Wheel Stand Pro that I purchased on Amazon.

Merry Christmas to me! ;-)

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 103

Re: Finally after 15 years!

Postby AS 2 Tom Little » 23 Dec 2017 12:07

Wow congrats Sonja - that's quite an impressive set up! I know Greg has a really neat control system too - so it seems you will be lost in the realism - which is a great thing! Merry Christmas!!

AS 2 Tom Little
FAA [Administrator]

Location: [AirSource ID: AS 2] KMCO Orlando, Florida SKYPE:airsourceva
AirSource Pilot Number: 2

Postby AS37 Norm Edwards » 24 Dec 2017 11:18

Fantastic Sonja - you've really gone all out on this, what a great way to end the year and start the new :) Best wishes to you and yours over xmas... enjoy! :)

AS37 Norm Edwards
FAA [Administrator]

AirSource Pilot Number: 37

Postby Thumper_KJFK AS.381 » 26 Dec 2017 16:27

Congrats Sonja and Merry Merry Christmas to you, It certainly looks like you have been really really good. And that gear certainly do not look like a Lump of Coal. Well done :)

Thumper_KJFK AS.381
Private Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 381

Postby murphw_A350 » 27 Dec 2017 10:32

That's awesome! I finally got a yoke and pedals a few months back. Love it!
murphw_A350

Postby David White AS 599 » 20 Apr 2018 03:33

Sonja,
Sorry to get in on this thread so late. But, if you have not found it yet, and want to take your Seitek controls to the next level, do a search for SPADNEXT.net. It is like steroids for your controls and panels. It has far better drivers than the default set that you get from Logitek. And, it allows you to program every button, knob, and display to do just about anything you want, or need it to do.
David White AS 599

Postby sonjamichelle » 20 Apr 2018 21:30

Already using SpadNext. :wink:

Bit of a cumbersome interface, but it gets the job done for the most part. Still tinkering with it.

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby sonjamichelle » 10 Oct 2018 04:27

flyingpolarbear wrote:I would love to get that registry hack to disable the advanced power management for the Autopilot. My LCD lights do not work and I am wondering if it has something to do with that..

I believe this is where I found the information:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/4874 ... -usb-hubs/

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby sonjamichelle » 15 Oct 2018 16:45

I FINALLY got my set up configured and working to the point where I can complete a flight. It's been rough configuring the controls with X-Plane 11, P3Dv4 and Spad.Next. But I seem to have the right profiles dialed in.

Made a very wet flight from Norman, OK (KOUN) to Austin, TX (KAUS). Great view of the clouds! :mrgreen:

My setup in my new office.

Flying the Alabeo Diamond DA-42 Twin Star. And as you can see, visibility sucks dirty hairy donkey .... well you know.

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby sonjamichelle » 19 Aug 2020 05:34

Hehe, that was a few years ago. Now I went whole hog. Just put her together last night.

Eagerly awaiting finishing building the Nav PC and MSFS 2020 to finish its downloads so I can give it a whirl :mrgreen:

sonjamichelle
Instrument Rated Pilot

Postby Thumper_KJFK AS.381 » 19 Aug 2020 09:31

WOW I am blown away. That build was well worth it. Congratulations Captain

Thumper_KJFK AS.381
Private Pilot

AirSource Pilot Number: 381

Postby AS37 Norm Edwards » 22 Aug 2020 07:38

Very nice set up Sonja :)